Periodic Update - Lower Sukhumvit

StoneSoup

At the rsik of drawing Khun Sanuk's wrath for mentioning venues on this board who are not paying advertisers, I'm going to risk posting a few items that I consider to be "news" - in that they haven't shown up yet on this board.

First - there is interesting new activity ongoing at the J.W. Marriott. As best as I can tell, they are establishing a "Rivas" style lounge, right off the Sukhumvit sidewalk, almost next door to Blue Wave. Everyone familiar with what has always been a waterfall wall facing Sukhumvit will now find a new stairway leading up to a new curved-vestibule entranceway that has been carved out of the building. It looks to be about 2-3 weeks from completion.

Next - for folks who were familar with the International Bier House on Soi 23, they have opened up ina new incarnation, right next door to Genesis on Sukhumvit Soi 11 - that is, on the opposite side from Grand President. Interior is attractive - same menu as old Soi 23 location. One intersting feature is that they have a live band performing most nights - basically a typical Filipino trio singing popular tunes at confortable level. What is interesting is the location of the bank- they play from a raised, curved catwalk that overlooks the dining area - from behind and above the main bar. Hard to describe, but - something different for a change. This is now a nice, upscale place to bring a business partner, or to take your steady girl out to.

Finally - on the soi where I live - Sukhumvit Soi 8 - a new pool pub is opening up this week - Corleone's - just 50 meters into the soi - you can't miss the sign. This is another reasonably upscale place - air conditioned, two brand new pool tables, big-screen TV, "Godfather" theme decorations. Nice set-up. A group of Scandanavians and their buddies from the Outlaw's motorcycle club have put this place together. Manager is a Brit. Official opening Saturday, 6 December - the soft opening is already ongoing - you can stop in for a beer already. This will be a place that will not have bar-finable employees - it is intended to be a 'straight' bar and grill.

Lastly - a new bar is taking shape upstairs, across the stairway landing from (and on same level as) the Megabreaks pool lounge - off the Rajah Hotel parking lot. It looks to be a few weeks from completion. Very high ceiling, curved bar - can't tell much else yet. This location has never been able to produce a winner before - maybe this time, the combination will work out (but - based on location - I have my doubts).

Cheers!

Stone Soup

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"At the rsik of drawing Khun Sanuk's wrath for mentioning venues on this board who are not paying advertisers,"

I think this was uncalled for... And you know it.

I have no problem with people mentioning venues, I do strongly object to blatant advertising though. Which is exactly what Blue Wave did, trying to hit a highly targetted audience without paying a single Baht.

Sanuk!

Lastly - a new bar is taking shape upstairs, across the stairway landing from (and on same level as) the Megabreaks pool lounge - off the Rajah Hotel parking lot. It looks to be a few weeks from completion. Very high ceiling, curved bar - can't tell much else yet. This location has never been able to produce a winner before - maybe this time, the combination will work out (but - based on location - I have my doubts).

Sounds like it may be the new bar run by the owner of Livingroom CP? I hear he is opening a place somewhere in that area.

All in all, sounds like things are jumping.

StoneSoup said:

This location has never been able to produce a winner before - maybe this time, the combination will work out (but - based on location - I have my doubts).

Hi ss,

Interesting report - I am out of touch these days. Regarding your last point, intelligence reports indicate that this place will be run by Graham of living Room fame. If that is so, then I would rate its chances of success very highly. He has a magic touch. :beer:

Khwai

khwaimaisabai said:
StoneSoup said:

This location has never been able to produce a winner before - maybe this time, the combination will work out (but - based on location - I have my doubts).

Hi ss,

Interesting report - I am out of touch these days. Regarding your last point, intelligence reports indicate that this place will be run by Graham of living Room fame. If that is so, then I would rate its chances of success very highly. He has a magic touch. :beer:

Khwai

Personally I though the living room was a crap bar. Never could see why people liked the place. :dunno:

I remember its opening night, packed with Thai high society types, all there for the free drinks :drunk:, then never seen again! The place was dead for months afterwards, until the three owners found someone they could sell it to (Graham).

Yehtmae said:

The place was dead for months afterwards, until the three owners found someone they could sell it to (Graham).

Hi yehtmae,

........and after Graham took over it was very busy most of the time until it closed down. Never my favourite spot, personally, but it must have been making money at the end of its life.

Khwai

StoneSoup said:

Finally - on the soi where I live - Sukhumvit Soi 8 - a new pool pub is opening up this week - Corleone's - just 50 meters into the soi - you can't miss the sign. This is another reasonably upscale place - air conditioned, two brand new pool tables, big-screen TV, "Godfather" theme decorations. Nice set-up. A group of Scandanavians and their buddies from the Outlaw's motorcycle club have put this place together. Manager is a Brit. Official opening Saturday, 6 December - the soft opening is already ongoing - you can stop in for a beer already. This will be a place that will not have bar-finable employees - it is intended to be a 'straight' bar and grill.

That they took a Mafia theme for their bar might be kind of self ironic. If I remember right, the Outlaws Norway had been involved in a serious gang war in Skandinavia in the 90th including shootings and killings.

Archived