Another Sinsot thread

No, they built a house for us in Bangkok. That was our wedding present from them.

So the money went twoards our house. It is in our both name.

We were involved into designing and planning the house. So it is OUR house. We could sell it, of course, but we wouldn`t want to... LOVE IT..

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this isn't ;perceived as an attempt to ruin a good thing but I noticed that you have only known her for a year and half. You noted in the post that you have met her. Have you lived with her for an extended period of time? From my own experience this means a lot. My experience had a big impact on things. Travelling to Thailand and being with the girl will almost always be good but living together and so forth can sometimes be a totallly different story. You have to deal with real world living not the love vacation. Again this isn't intended as a bash I just think for me it was a good lesson and others should consider it before making a leap into marriage. But then hell some people get married having never lived or slept together and everything works. PS I don't expect an answer to this since it really ain't none of my bees wax and I assume from readings that you probably have more experience in these things then I. My point is only to those who haven't consider that one can get deluded by the vacation love affair and think getting together will be the same as those days on the beach.

From what I know of middle to upper-middle class, the sinsot is given back in one form or another. The higher the class the return of the sinsot seems to be more in the form of gifts (real estate, cars, etc...).

How open the negotiations are is dependent on the relationship of the groom with the brides family.

There are some cases that I know where the bride's family didn't trust the groom and kept him in the dark. The sinsot was returned to the couple but only in the brides name (real estate and bank account).

Of the upper middle class sinsot that I know of, the couple actually come out ahead.

The more rural the bride, the higher the tendency for the sinsot to be kept or a greater % retained.

<<burp>>

HIGH THAIED said:

A US$20,000 Thai wedding, with no sin sot involved? How in the hell was that explained to the guests? Or was it just a hibachi, with some chicken wings, and a few cases of beer sing, in the front yard? Me thinks he paid sin sot maak maak, in the end. :D:grinyes::p

HT

HT,

I guess it was stupid of me to think that you would appreciate any serious input from me, considering your mockery response. Let me tell you though that we dropped a 130,000 baht for our wedding wich featured 500 guests at a home party. I have no reason to doubt that 5 times that can easily be spent if you have this wedding party at an upper class bangkok hotel.

HIGH THAIED said:

In the end, I could never let my Visa card separate me from my tirak. I'll pay whatever I have to, to be with her. If it's a million baht, then so be it. It may be easy for some to simply say, 'just move on', and that I'm a sucker. But that's just not an option for me. And never has been, since the first day I met her.

HT

I am surprised no one has brought this up. You don't need to answer this response of mine because it may get too personal .

You mentioned, maybe in a joking way a Visa card to pay the sinsot and I know that you are a sole proprietor that runs a business. Have you really calculated the expenses of importing your bride? In other words can you afford a foreign wife? I have several friends who have imported their wives from South America, Asia and Europe. The resounding conclusion is that it is freaking expensive to take care of a woman who cannot immediately contribute to the finances in the relationship.

Some have wives who have a college education but that foreign degree does not hold weight in the USA when looking for a job. The other huge problem is English language and communication skills, if the girl does not have these then she is going to have to work in menial jobs. One of my friends is spending a small fortune with paying for his wifes private English lessons, driving lessons and paying all of her personal expenses for clothes shopping, pocket money, toiletries, medical , hair salons, etc. She has been in the States for a year now and still is not able to secure employment. She was a primary school teacher in her own country. He can afford her because he is in the banking business but taking sole care of her is a serious drain on his cashflow.

Heck if you don't have a good medical plan a serious sickness , disability or illness to either one of you can bring financial ruin, which is not too far fetched of a scenario.

I understand your concern about the sinsot but I know would be more concerned about the expenses you will incur after you bring her back to the States, especially if she has mediocre English skills and only a Thai education.

I am surprised no one has brought this up.

---------------

because the subject is about the sinsot, not if he can afford to have a thai wife abroad.

I am also a bit puzzled at his statement about "visa" card. the way you wrote that paragraph, HT, it sounds a tad immature or "heels over head" for a guy your age.

Ok, that was my contribution to hi-jacking the thread! :)

pattaya127 said:

I am surprised no one has brought this up.

---------------

because the subject is about the sinsot, not if he can afford to have a thai wife abroad.

I am also a bit puzzled at his statement about "visa" card. the way you wrote that paragraph, HT, it sounds a tad immature or "heels over head" for a guy your age.

Ok, that was my contribution to hi-jacking the thread! :)

Which is why I wrote what I wrote. I see "visa card" then alarm bells go off in my head. I don't know if that was a joke or a guy would seriously consider using a visa to pay for sinsot. If a guy has to use his credit card or a loan for sinsot then one really has to wonder if he can afford to take care of a wife until she can pull her own weight financially.

Hi,

>>>>because the subject is about the sinsot, not if he can afford to have a thai wife abroad.

I am also a bit puzzled at his statement about "visa" card. the way you wrote that paragraph, HT, it sounds a tad immature or "heels over head" for a guy your age.<<<<

Not really serious with 'Visa Card'. Financial's of her coming here are not a problem. What I'm looking for are real life examples of other couples, (with a Thai girl with a similar background), concerning sin sot issues (and related problems) that they may have run into.

HT

Archived