P4P in Cambodia, places to go?!

kamui

Lusty said:

Some of the nightime P4P venues are so dark you can't see the girl you talking to let alone estimate her age.Why is this?Thanx

This question is for me ?

In the case of e.g. soi Yodsak bars, perhaps to help conceal the fact that the girls are ravaged by disease / illegal drugs, or that they are in fact men.

In the case of dark gogo bars e.g. Afterskool, perhaps to allow the more modest punters (particularly of the expat variety) a degree of privacy / anonymity ?

If you are implying - as you appear to be (?) - that such venues allow girls under 18 to work and not be identified as such by the punters I suppose that this is possible too.

However, as I understand it this thread is not intended to focus on Thai establishments of this nature, but rather less seedy venues e.g. the many hostess bars around Phnom Penh.

My Lien

Black & White

Rose's

Zanzibar

Malaria

Fleurs d'Asie

L' Asiate

Shanghai

Sweetheart

Howie's

to name but ten.

The girls in these bars are not humiliated by being required to dance naked / near naked / perform vulgar sex shows as they are in Nanaplaza gogos.

The girls in these bars are not forced to provide sex for whichever customer chooses them as they are in 'massage' parlours in Bangkok.

The girls in these bars are not coerced into giving bare back blow jobs as they are in so many farang venues in Thailand...

PS the lighting in these bars is of the yellow variety; to make the girls look more beautiful or the punters less ugly ? Take your pick, but as in so many areas of life, the truth is probably a bit of both.

[My boat awaits: off to a lovely SEA country where I don't expect to see any P4P action. Will I miss Phnom Penh ? Missing it already]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent list Changnoi. :bow: I would add a few more..... DV8 and Dingo bar and there are new ones opening weekly, mostly on the River Front and in the "The Strip" late night area where I now live. :up: My current favourite is Shanghai bar in that area or Zanzibar on the river side.

And while the scene is different from LOS, I find it less exploitive of both the girls and punters. No doubt there will be many more good new places opening soon as the level of tourist and operations both move more upscale.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the misfortune to meet a couple of guys from this board who are too interested in the underage activities going on in Cambodia. I will not "out" them here but I think we cannot bury our heads in the sand and pretend that some posters on this board are not paedophiles.

I believe that discussion and identification of those places where the unsuspecting tourist may accidentally venture, acts as a form of protection rather than serving to encourage people to actively seek them out . The real sickos already know where these places are and no doubt have their own websites on which they share informtion.

From my own point of view, I may have one day to make a visa run to Cambodia and having never been there before, I am interested in what to expect, where to go for a couple of days and perhaps more importantly, where to avoid.

he other seedy side up north is the "Morlam Concerts".

In small villages, these are NOT having high profile people involved, instead it's a small troup of players who wonder around, kinda like in the days of old!

Up near us, when the troops come to town they need "Pretty Girls" on stage, and regularly recruit from the local schools.

Kids get 100 - 200 baht a night dancing, but there is a lot of other activities that seem to float around the scene.

I've never seen it, but I don't doubt it's there.

DOG

torrenova said:

From my own point of view, I may have one day to make a visa run to Cambodia and having never been there before, I am interested in what to expect, where to go for a couple of days and perhaps more importantly, where to avoid.

Hi Torre,

my idea was to put up a positive list for places to go. Just go to the places listed above and you will have a lot of fun. I don't think we need a negative list here as well, since this this kind of list might be a "positive list" for those interested in the ugly part of P4P. :: Concerned punters will find this kind of places in the net easily.

Like everywhere in the world the nightlife scene changes constantly. Just start with the listed places and talk to other customers in the bars. They will direct you to the "in-places".

There are many shades of gray in P4P in PP and one place which is located in this twilight zone in the (in)famous Martinis. I have not been at the new Martinis, but the old one was even listed in "Lonely Planet".

kamui said:

my idea was to put up a positive list for places to go. Just go to the places listed above and you will have a lot of fun. I don't think we need a negative list here as well,

I have to agree, no point in this August board becoming a resource for scum.

I also agree that the positive places should be promoted.

My schtik has always been, that though scum and bad things exist everywhere if you look hard enough, to deny the obvious good side of a city/place/country would be to focus on the negative and remove most cities in the world from one's travel agenda.

Cheers

Coss

Are you trying to somehow equate Issan cafes' etc with cambodia? I have only ever met one dancer who was underage in Issan, by that I mean in big troupe, she started at 14.It's a big misconception to see every young girl working in a cafe or karaoke as being on the game. On the other hand when I have seen 14 year olds in bkk or Pattaya go go's there is no doubt what she's there for. Happily although crackdowns on nightlife are much moaned about, we have seen a big decline in underage girls in in thai nightlife places. I'm sure underage girls can be had in Issan and bkk still but that applies to most anywhere. The cambo problem is that you don't really have to search it out as it's still in the shop window and many people go there just for the young girls. Torrenova's post is accurate.-peter

Archived