WORLD CUP TALK.

sayjann

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing unfortunate about it. Both sides won through fairly. Italy played great entertaining football in the semi-final and deserved to win against a less skilled but valiant Germany side.

Now where is Euro 2008 going to be held? In some passionless dull countries that never contribute anything of their own and will instead have to import all the fans, atmosphere and entertainment from places with real footballing fervour like Italy, France, Germany, England, Holland and Spain. The fact that a championship's going to be held in such a boring undeserving place populated by sycophantic disinterested bankers is the real :whatever:

It was a decent enough game. As a neutral, I thought the Portuguese were the better side in the first half, at least, but they just can't score.

I still don't think the German team is that good. Ricardo was crap for the first goal, Petit(?) unlucky for the own goal - it wasn't really a walkover. Italy showed you what a good side is really like.

Hey, Germany are actually going downhill whereas England have kept constant! You lot got to the final in the last World Cup, but not in this one! Meanwhile, we got to the quarters, same as before.

Heh - I've got him now lads! :D If he responds, he has to either say that Germany in 2002 were lucky and didn't deserve to reach the final... or that it was a triumph in 2006 because not much was expected (i.e.because their players aren't really that good) ... or that England under-achieved and, in that case, he's admitting that England have great players! He can't answer without incriminating himself! ::

"I still don't think the German team is that good."

LOL, so what do you think about England team? Germany has finished ahead of England in '90, '94, '98, '02, and '06 and captured a lot of silverware along the way. By the way, the bookies in England have set the odds for the 2010 WC and you guessed it, England is favored to win it (again).

Italy showed you what a good side is really like.

If that's what a "good side is really like" it's not much. Italy was very lucky to find the goal in the last minute. Just because a team plays better (like Italy did) doesn't guarantee they go through. If they hadn't found that goal in the last minute of of the last extra time, no one could have fancied their chances in a shoot out. And getting Frings kicked out, while legal, was their biggest play of the match taking out the key defensive player for what turned out to be a 120 minute defensive duel.

Spot ot Bibbs, we just can't score.

No matter who played better...scoring is a (THE) part of the game and we can't do that as easily as our opponents.

This is without a doubt our weakest point. We can pass the ball, keep the possession, create some space, but when we reach the opponent's box is OVER :banghead:

Way the few goalscoring chances. A few long range shots are OK, but if we depend on those then we're fucked.

Just read that Scolari may stay another two years..I have mixed feelings on this. He can get results but I'm afraid he won't chance the somewhat cowardly tactics of 4-5-1 and just play with two strikers as I'm hoping for. 4-4-2

Why not play with Gomes and Pauleta in front for fuck's sake. The guy upfront needs assistance. Play Ronaldo and Simao as wingers and two central mids.

Fucking depressing to see my team underperform when they have the players to show much much more (positive) football.

I think this 4th spot was more than we deserved because of our lack of attacking power.

'Italy was very lucky to find the goal in the last minute'

but that's the name of the Game.........it lasts for a minimum of 90 Minutes and if you score in the last Minute then it shows you are still prepare to attack to the last and not settle for the Draw.

better to score in the 90th Minute than the 1st,leaves little time for the opposition to fight back.

Zaad,

I think your being too harsh on your coach. Although on paper Portugal played 4-5-1, it actually worked more like 4-3-3 with Ronaldo and Figo being very active in the attack on the wings. Looking at the tournament in hindsight, they deserved to get to the last four. Portugal has some exciting players and was one of the better countries to look at. BTW, why doesn't scolari favour Gomes over Pauleta? And why has he never played Boa Morte? He is a player that can revive the spirit in attack, IMO.

Cheers!

Zaad said:...the somewhat cowardly tactics of 4-5-1...

I already said before that 4-5-1 is killing football and that coaches that play this system deserve to be shot. It looks like we are not the only ones sharing this opinion. der Kaiser has slammed this WC for lack of excitement and he blames 4-5-1 for it:

"If I had my way the teams that play one striker would not be allowed into the tournament. It was a joke. I was seriously annoyed by the lack of courage from some teams - how afraid the coaches were. There were hardly any shots on goal and that explains the low goal quota."

I find it amazing that as president of the organizing committee is that critical of his own tournament. It shows that he is a class fella! :up:

The full story can be found on Sky Sports.

i don't find his comments surprising at all,he is only voicing his opinion just the same that many of us have.

he is but one Man who helped bring the WC to Germany and he has no control over what the Coaches do.

he finds it frustrating that so many of the top Teams have played a cautious Game.

this has not been the most exciting WC i have ever seen and that IMO is down to the Coaches and their negative tactics at times.

Archived