Help about Thai ARt

junglesoup

I am posting this in GD rather than art because I want more people to see it as its quite important to me.

My sister is getting married next month. I want to get her and her husband to be a nice wedding present. I knwo they liked some of the thai art work when they were out. So i was think to get them a painting or something.

I m not in Thailand now. In the uk. So does anyone know any decent thai artists or art available online from Thai artists. Anygood websites.

This would be really appreciated. Thanks lads.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of tricky. Thai art tends to be pretty derivative, taking most of it's themes from Thai mythology or Bhuddism. While they are expert at replication, truly original art in the western sense is difficult to find. Bangkok is one of the few world cities of its' size not to have a contemporary art museum.

A Google search should turn-up some Thai artists but that is a tricky way to buy.

If you could find out from them exactly what kind of painting they did like you'll have a better chance.

There is a lot of original Thai pottery and woodworks on the net; look on EBAY under "Thai Handcrafts" They might make safer gifts.

Thai Art is two different things...

1) there is the decorative shit that is essentially worthless that you buy of buddha faces and such, which looks nice on walls and in hotels.

2) the other side is Thai contemporary art of which some is quite valuable and there are a number of major artists exhibiting in that field and legends including, Montien Boonmee, Rirkrit, Navin Rawanchaikul, Jakkai Siributr, and Kamol Tongsuvadee among others.

I am assuming you aren't interested in actually collecting valuable work though or you'd be asking a more specific question :dunno:

If you are, or in fact, the couple is then there is one English language title about it by Stephen Pettifor a British writer based in Bangkok (might give them that book along with the work you buy them).

I suppose you can order and have it shipped to farangland. Phuket, Pattaya, even Hua Hin is riddled with shops that can paint anything you want.

In terms of up and coming commercial Thai art that might be worth something. www.hgallerybkk.com. H Ernest Lee is sharp and knows the art world. Probably will not be cheap, but he has a roster of artists some of which are heavy hitters.

Best,

the_numbers

Thanks alot fellows, this has really helped. I ll have a look through these resources and hopefully find something that I am looking for, even though I don t know what I m looking for. Just something that is unusual and people ask about it when they see it on the wall.

thanks again,

Chris.

Archived