Airbus 380 flys into LAX

OCgringo

My under standing is a lot of deliveries have been canceled. I think the break even point is something like 600? Not 100% sure, as I read different stuff...

Frankly, I think it is a mistake for UPS to have canceled some (maybe all orders by now). As I think the strength of this thing will be as a cargo plane.

FOr US Carriers, the schedule may make the difference...flying 2 planes allows for more schedule accomodation, 1 flight reduces product, drives up the price and is less convienient...I will predict the second 1 US carrier buys one, and cuts flights, the others will follow, it will be interesting to see who "blinks first."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what a C check costs for an A320 vs 737.

I like flying in an A320. It is a bit wider than a 737.

I also like the A320 and the A340 for comfort, the way the bulk heads are formed does give a bit more room for window passengers. Not sure how the A380 will feel in flight. Doubt it will really seem all the roomy, maybe more like 2 smaller planes stacked on top, and I wonder if you will be able to walk around between floors...safety/security crap and all.

I was just told the cost of C checks, and forgot, I will ask tomorrow. A lot depends on what type of C check, C-1 C-4 etc...how many COAS blah blah... I know we do C checks on the A 319 and A-320...both crap plans that require a lot of warrenty repairs which eat up time. We also run into a lot of un expected problems, which add to the cost.

We do them in house as we do them cheaper/better...the HMVs are contracted out. The 737s are currently done outside, they come back from time to time. Outside vendors do shit work.

Maybe due to insufficient maintenance

That's pretty evil (I corrected your spelling), but fucking priceless! :beer:

We just had one come in for it's first C check, floor in the cabin is already rotting out, and lots of delamination on the panels. We are working with them to correct the problems. Have "experimental engine cowls on some now, to see if we (together) can correct the delam problems. Don't worry, still safe. But this is just the example I am talking of, the concepts are great and innovative, but not time proven/tested enough before they went into production. The warrenty maintaince is done by their guys, so crap or Insufficient maintaince could be it :) But a good product wouldn't crap out this fast. Or shouldn't anyway.

The work is done there for a few reasons, one, we do their PW4070 and 4090 engines, so we swapped worked. A move that pissed the Union off, as we still have Mechanics on Layoff, and per the conttract no Heavy maintaince or C check is supposed to be off shored while this is happeneing...but who cares about a loust little labor contract...?

Second reason is they work cheap. SO cheap in fact, that it is cost effective to schedule the plan to fly there, then go into over haul or C Check. Then fly it back and have us fix whatever they missed or scrwewed up. Hapens a lot, regardless of who does the work. American Airlines had the same problems, and decided to bring the work back, and to actually start doing the work in house, and taking in work from otehr airlines...

Korean airlines/ repair facilities are maybe as bad or no worse than some...Some ore pure shit, and lose contracts, which doesn't really help...

OH ,

sorry to be a little unpolite but the degree of pure nonsense you are spreading here is so phantastic that it is not worth commenting on it . You seem to be involved in aircraft mecanics as I could notice but you should not use this as a matter of credibility to publish such a total bullshit .

BuBi

Fedex and UPS cancelled theirs. ILFC, a chartering company have 10 on order with an option for 4.

The orders aren't that high now, but they should be in production for several decades, so they will have plenty of time to earn a market share. A lot depends on subsidies, legal and otherwise, from the US and European govts.

OH ,

sorry to be a little unpolite but the degree of pure nonsense you are spreading here is so phantastic that it is not worth commenting on it . You seem to be involved in aircraft mecanics as I could notice but you should not use this as a matter of credibility to publish such a total bullshit .

BuBi

Bubi,

Ok.. you think OH is talking bullshit... but at least tell us WHY what he says is bullshit! :confused:

There are plenty of reasons why I am full of shit, it would take to long to list them all. But when it comes to planes...well, hopefully I know what I am doing. :crazy:

Comes down to this, you want to buy a car, do you ask a mechanic who works on all kinds which one is reliable, or do you just walk in to a Hyundai or Yugo show room and take the sales man's word that his is best?

Archived