First Draft of History Looks a Bit Rough on Bush

Flashermac

Raygun had the most corrupt administration in US history with 34 felony convictions and doubled the national debt, but has had an airport and a large Navy ship (an aircraft carrier?) named after him.

And on the new pages I had added to my passport last week, there was a quote (that doesn't really make a lot of sense) from him :(:barf: More of my tax dollars at work doing things I don't want them to; someone had to be paid to redesign the pages & add quotes. Why? :nono:

1208235814-DSCF2022.jpg

Raygun = easily the second worst prez ever! But I can think of a few things that Raygun did that were OK. I can't think of *one* good thing I can say of the Shrub presidency, outside of that is it over in January -- err hopefully over, cuz I wouldn't put anything past this gang of liars, cheats & thieves.

Regards,

SD

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Raygun...doubled the national debt

During the Reagan years tax revenues went up thanks to his innovative tax reform, but the democratically controlled congress made and passed budgets that created the debt. So unless you have facts to prove otherwise let's all agree Reagan was the good guy here and the democrats simply went on a spending spree and blamed Reagan.

Funny what happened to Bush Sr too. He was crucified by democrats for not sticking to his "read my lips" because he signed the DEMOCRATS tax bill. Still, he was stupid for doing that but talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Innovative tax reform? What, shove it in the middle class's asses while the rich folks stop paying? And take away/privatize services many services and fail to fund the others then point to a department and say "See governemnt doesn't work!" Ya that's innovative. :banghead:

And besides, who cares about tax revenue? The national GDP rose under Raygun only 3.4%...the exact same amount as under Carter!

I suppose you believe the fairytale that he singlehandedly brought about the fall of Russia, the facts be damned.

And he's the guy who brought in all the fundy Xtians who have fucked up American politics. He should be hung for just that alone.

I could easily go on, and in moire detail, but I'm hungry so going out to eat and play Songkran.

Cheers,

SD

Question. For those that say that Dubya's presidency is a success. What exactly made his presidency a success?

Also, what made Reagan's presidency a success? He cut some taxes and raised others to pay for it(tax deferred annuities for example, their gain were taxable when they weren't prior in 1982 under TEFRA). He raised defense spending far more than anyone wanted...or needed. As for the economy of the '80s, he was already in office when the recession hit its peak. It was actually the Fed Reserve chief cutting interest rates dramatically that ignited the stock market, cheap money and it created the bond market (which react inversely to interest rates). Stocks were now the place to put your money insteady of double digit interest bearing government bonds. Reagan was an above average president, not the quasi deity that Republicans make him out to be. Oh, and for those who want to credit him with the fall of communism, I'd disagree with that as well. It was the war in Afganistan that broke the Russian's backs. They were teetering for years. There were breadlines from the '70s and prior. The war in Afganistan in '79 was the first and only full scale war the Russians were involved in. 200k troops and they had to feed and house all of them. It was their 'Vietnam', they were there throughout the '80s spending billions and billions of rubles and it broke their backs. Not Maggie and Ronnie.

We can debate Reagan and some will still say his presidency was a resounding success. Okay, there are successes to attribute to him, but I'd really like to focus on Dubya's overall record that would label his presidency a successful one.

Oh, one more thing about Reagan. Far be it for me to speak ill of the dead but I honestly think he was suffering from early effects of Alzheimers during the last couple years of his presidency. I don't say that to ridicule him, just my guess on his mental acuity. His presdiency was similar in some ways to Eisenhower, who also had the benefit of being president during an economic boom, he suffered a heart attack and was basically an invalid the last couple years of his presidency. He spent more years at camp david recuperating that running the country. Reagan's alzheimers came about very soon after his presidency ended.

I don't think any of the aforementioned was as bad as Johnson. Only the civil rights act saved him I think. Had he listened to his own commission the war on poverty would have worked instead of doing the opposite, in my opinion, destroying millions of minority families by taking the father out of the home.

Ya ever post anything about LoS' date=' Rogoyim?[/quote']

Not under "Non-Thailand News" certainly.

And nowhere else on this site, either. Not one single LoS related post.

However, we do feel your pain. Being such a one-trick pony, it must have hurt terribly when you first realized your fearless leader was giving you such a sound fucking.

I think you underestimate the importance of Reagan's up-beat leadership spirit in contrast to the defaitistic attitude towards the Soviet bloc held by the peace movement of the 80'ies in Europe. As I commented here one year and a half ago, I was posted in Germany doing press work during the first half of the 80'es - in the centre of the debate regarding placing NATO middle distance robots in Germany - and almost all my German press contacts emphazised this important "spiritual" leadership role of Reagan. I can tell you that the "neutralism" preached by leftists like Oscar Lafontaine and Egon Bahr was really depressing and totally eroded the Social Democratic Party ( I have vivid memories of the prevailing leftist political atmosphere at the SPD party congresses) to the point where the Free Democrats broke up from the coalition with SPD and left Socal Democray out of power for decades!

Unfortunately, we again need strong American leadership. As John Vinocur points out in the IHT today, Iran is encouraged by Western indifference. notably Bush's sudden disengagement and strange complacency towards Russia, to pursue its nuclear ambitions to their fulfillment in 2009 (the French nuclear agency finds it quite possible or rather probable that the Iranian missile programme is en route). In such a case Israel, the main target for Iranian aggression, might feel tempted to act unilaterally to eliminate this threat, as also is being indicated in the IHT today by the then advisor to Menachem Begin (who carried out the 1981 attack against the Osirak nuclear reactor in Irak). Sadly, Germany's Angela Merkel, responding to strong undercurrents among German voters, seems to have modified her initially promising pro-atlantic stance in favour of the equidistance between East and West position taken by Social Democrats. The recent NATO meeting was an ominous reminder of the European indifference of the 80ies and worse, the absence of am American leadership a la Reagan to counteract this lack of spirit.

The only way historians or anyone else for that matter can describe GW Bush is that he really is the 21st century village idiot.

That's not how Berlusconi sees President Bush and he's just won an historic return to power in Italy. Sarkozy seems pretty favorable toward our President as well, as does Merkel. Bush hatred is busting out all over Europe, NOT!

I can't think of *one* good thing I can say of the Shrub presidency, outside of that is it over in January -- err hopefully over

Surely you jest SD!

Dubs has saved us from the plague of gay marriage. Praise Jesus for that!

And by the way, every time you criticize our fearless leader, the terrorists "win".

You are an unpatriotic SOB. I think you deserve the death penalty.

Warmest regards,

Chappy

The only way historians or anyone else for that matter can describe GW Bush is that he really is the 21st century village idiot.

That's not how Berlusconi sees President Bush and he's just won an historic return to power in Italy. Sarkozy seems pretty favorable toward our President as well' date=' as does Merkel. Bush hatred is busting out all over Europe, NOT![/quote']

Who said anything about Europe? Over 70% of Americans think the current administration sucks balls. And speaking of Europe, Berlusconi is a right wing, corrupt arsehole but then again, in Italy you can get away with anything. You Americans have despised the French for years and because they now have a conservative president all is forgiven right. And for the record, Europeans do dislike the Bush administration for the fact that these gun slinging, bible bashing fuckwits have turned this world into a much more dangerous place. Do yourself a favour, get on a plane, visit Europe and have a chat to some people. You'll be surprised to hear what people really think about your government and America in general. But my guess is that you don't leave your country very often. Oh well, there's always Fox news to keep you up to date with whats happening in the world. :devil::devil::devil:

Archived