First Draft of History Looks a Bit Rough on Bush

Flashermac

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PTB, BKKTRVL,

This is more less my point. We keep hearing the mission statement being changed, from WMD to Ridding Iraq/the world of Sadaam, to now fighting AQ...havn't you noticed, the enemy is no longer referred to as "Iraqi Insurgents" or Bathist loyalist etc, now they are just "Al-Quaida." Too much bullshit to believe anything this administration has to say.

If you refer to the res 1441, here is part of the statement by US Ambassador John Negroponte (from the UN press release):

"The resolution contained, he said, no â??hidden triggersâ? and no â??automaticityâ? with the use of

force. The procedure to be followed was laid out in the resolution. And one way or another, Iraq

would be disarmed. If the Security Council failed to act decisively in the event of further Iraqi

violation, the resolution did not constrain any Member State from acting to defend itself against the

threat posed by that country, or to enforce relevant United Nations resolutions and protect world peace

and security."

It's quite obvious to me that Negroponte "admits" that the resolution as NOT automatically giving green light to any member state to the use of force in case of non-compliance by Saddam. The passus "If the Security Council failed to act..."etc might seem contradictory but implies nonetheless further Security Council procedure. "The resolution did not constrain..." looks to me as less convincing as an interpretation for legimitizing "Alleingang" by the US in using force.

So, if you meant to say that by resolution 1441, President Bush was given a mandate to use force, you seem to be wrong.

Kofi Annans use of the word "unilateral" as opposed to action decided by the Security Council is widespread practice on the Iraq invasion issue.

It is dishonest regardless of how many people do it. Unilateral means undertaken by one party. Look it up.

The fact that Kofi Annan, a lying, America-hating criminal, tells a certain lie is no excuse for repeating it yourself. To claim otherwise is Orwellian.

My patience with you is running out. President Bush unilaterally took action towards Iraq. The fact that a few other countries, notably the UK, cooperatated with him by sending troops, did not make it a multilateral action. Not even conservative Americans will support your use of languague. Even Bush Sr, his father, warned GW Bush in March 2003, against "unilateral" action, that is use of force not explicitly authorized by the UN, towards Iraq.

Answer instead the question about which UN resolution you were referring to. If res 1441 gave President Bush the mandate to use force, then why did the US think they needed a second resolution, the one which was never put on the table (in anticipation of a veto by the French)?

But wasn't Iraq doing their best to be in full compliance and the reports coming out confirmed they were clean like Hans Blix? I seem to recall it was the "we know they are doing WMD, but we can't tell you how we know nor will we share it with you or weapons inspectors" that was the crucial factor.

PTB, give it up with RY...he enjoys posting bullshit, it appears simply to be provocative...I think he discerns pleasure and amusement at annoying others....he really isn't the sharpest tool in the box, as you will quickly see from his childish retorts. On a couple of occasions I've called him on his reasoning, he's failed to produce anything substantive or he's been seemingly unable or incapable of producing a reply.

He behaves like a troll...

The alternative is he believes what he writes...which is very scary and it would be incomprehensible that such a person could function in daily life (the degree of cognitive distortions would inhibit normal social interaction and impact upon all aspects of a persons existence). Faced with facts and reality he soon goes away....and then reappears elsewhere to repeat the cycle...

Archived