US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq

Flashermac

<< Maybe not in the conventional sense, but the army have a substantial base there. >>

Yup. I worked for the Army at Redstone Arsenal for 5 years. My father retired from the Marshall Space Flight Center. I suppose you could call Washington DC an "army town" too, since it has the Pentagon and a lot of other military installations.

Here's the "town":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsville,_Alabama

Shame they didn't leave it with the name Twickenham!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody much like Leroy Pope. He was a rich fella who bought up everything and had the fanciest home in the early town. He decided to name it after his umpteenth cousin, whom he'd never even met. As soon as folks got a chance, they changed the name just to spite Pope, not out of any gratitude to John Hunt. (One of the historic districts is named Twickenham.)

Nobody much like Leroy Pope. He was a rich fella who bought up everything and had the fanciest home in the early town. He decided to name it after his umpteenth cousin, whom he'd never even met. As soon as folks got a chance, they changed the name just to spite Pope, not out of any gratitude to John Hunt. (One of the historic districts is named Twickenham.)

I used to live in Twickenham in the UK and the name Pope appears a lot in street names etc.

This guy just did not read his contract when he signed it. But that does not work as they read it to you! And he must have missed the part about recall when they READ HIM his dd 214 when he got out.

I am sorry but I have no sympathy for this guy. They have been activating the IRR since 2003, so there is no way he did not know there was a chance of it. And if he did that, he should have stayed in the extra 2 years and saved himself the 10 years in prison, the fact that NO ONE will hire him, and the chance of a winning number for the firing squad.

Archived