US soldier refuses to report for active duty in Iraq

Flashermac

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, if it were not for people like me, you and or your parents would be dead a long time ago.

Who exactly are "...people like me..."? All American citizens? Or are you trying again to over glorify your small part in the group effort?

BTW, without people like you, tens of thousands of civilians would still be alive.

Nope. GWB never got one. He had a student deferment and the day after he graduated managed to enlist in the ANG. He also mysteriously received a commision as a 2LT on completing airman basic training of around 8 weeks.

Folks who got one of those letters had to report and let the military decide what to do with them. It usually meant Army, though occasionally the Marines would take some draftees out of the line. Whichever it was, it meant active duty and automatic combat arms.

I hate to use this as a source but in the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" :o they had something like pre flight school training, which they seemed to enter straight from civilian life. I think their rank was Officer Candidate.

Not to defend George from queue jumping but wouldn't he have had to do something like that before he went near a flying machine?

GWB got his commissioned handed to him, whilst his fellow trainees finished basic training as an E-1 (OR-1). Bush went to flight school after basic. He never trained to be an officer.

p.s. An officer candidate is not an officer, though they wear an officer's uniform. In the Army you have to have completed your basic and advanced training before you can go. Then it is 16 weeks to complete OCS and get a commission.

Basic training for me was 9 weeks, AIT the same. Then came 3 weeks of additional VN training, which was all infantry platoon tactics. Only two people got orders for OCS at the end of that. The rest of us got sent to RVN to "await our orders for OCS". When mine finally came, I was already an acting sergeant and told them to stuff them. I'd been in about 10 months by then. GWB got his commission when he'd been on active duty less than 2 months.

Remember' date=' if it were not for people like me, you and or your parents would be dead a long time ago.[/quote']

Who exactly are "...people like me..."? All American citizens? Or are you trying again to over glorify your small part in the group effort?

"People like me" are the millions of men and women that stood up and swore to fight for your freedom against those that would take it. Canadian, British, Irish, French (Yes I said it!), American, Thai (We remember the Thai Air force in WWI!), and all those I left out.

And yes, I am a very small part of it. But I am proud of the part I play and honored to serve.

Remember' date=' if it were not for people like me, you and or your parents would be dead a long time ago.[/quote']

"People like me" are the millions of men and women that stood up and swore to fight for your freedom against those that would take it. And yes, I am a very small part of it. But I am proud of the part I play and honored to serve.

So when the US eventually joined WW2, it was for the freedom of others, not because the axis powers had declared war on them?

Guest lazyphil

to protect american interests and its citizens and why not. america is not there as a charity. as a by product america saved our asses be it joining late and i'm forever grateful.

I dont know, what do you think? When did Lend-Lease start?

While your at it why did the US join WWI?

1941. Why it started is more relevant..

I'm not saying there's no reason for gratitude btw, because there is to all those that served from all the allied nations.

Not so clear on WW1, but I vaguely remember something about a telegram and the Lusitania... Of course the whole reason for the war happening was different.

Archived