Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

I will wear it proudly Froggo, thank you. I have another stupid question. I became a Gooner from my many trips to LOS and Premier league games being the only thing most bars would show. You start seeing the same teams and build an affinity for a particular club.

Anyway, I know I dislike Man U intently, what I want to know is there a particular club that Gooners hate and if so why? Chelsea was mentioned by Alholk but not being a Brit, I'm assuming he's joking.

My ex boss here, before she got sacked was from Liverpool (a good enough reason for someone to get sacked if I ever heard one--lol) and we have a standing wager that whichever team beats the other, the loser has to buy the plane ticket when I visit England.

Anyway, I'm a Gooner in training so please bear with me. I'm wearing my Arsenal shirt now at my job.

By the way, Alholk, if you're an Aussie by chance, I'm also a NZ All Blacks rugby fan, based on a Kiwi girlfriend I dated some time ago.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chocco,

You are correct in your assumptions above with respect to the Gooners, etc. It should be said, though, that I did not become a Gooner until 1986, which is when I first moved from the USA to London. So, others in "Gooner Corner" may be able to trace the roots farther back than I.

As for the club to really hate, historically it has been Tottenham Hotspur, our North London rival. This is why you may have noticed so much bitterness by those loyal to the Spurs when Sol came our way. Kind of akin to Roger Clemens becoming a New York Yankee from Boston, if that helps.

As for other rivals, Chelsea is of course another London side worthy of your enmity, while in recent years Leeds and Arsenal have had some "tense" matches. Then, of course, there is Man U - I do not think I have to say much there.

Hope that helps, and by the way, Long Gun and I will most likely be watching the match tonight (Sat) at the Living Room on Sukhumvit. Any chance you can make it?

Cheers,

froggo

Steve,

May I congatulate you on your choice of team...as a gooner of 30 years let me fill you in on a few things:

Gooner is the name given to an Arsenal supporter ,and you should certainly not be pronouncing `gunner` with that particular syntax.Unless you are from north of England and then your almost forgiven.

I think our friend was talking about the Dogs Bollocks bar in Pattaya,which is strictly a Chelsea bar.Why anyone would want to step foot into that god forsaken hole ,god only knows.You`ll miss nothing by staying away.

Tottenham Hotspur have always been our main rivals,as the grounds aren`t that far apart.

Of later years Man Utd seem to be receiving most of our dislike.

When talking about your beloved team ,feel free to use the term `The Arsenal`.

Very few teams are allowed to have The in front of them without sounding ridiculous.

Check on www,gooneronline.com to appreciate a little more of the correct protocol.

wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Thank you Colonel & Froggo. I am back in the States and can't make any of the games in LOS but will always be a Gooner. My cousin that was named after Pele (Edson) looks very similar to Sol.

Amongst my other goals in life, one that is way near the top is to actually attend a match at Highbury or if what I read is correct, a stadium at Ashburton Grove will be built. I'd like to attend a match at Highbury before that happens. And possibly attend a match at White Hart Lane against the Tottenham, proudly displaying our colours. Or is that a bit too insane and I would risk serious bodily harm? I heard about Sol being burned in effigy. I understand. I attended a university that in my opinion had the most intense rivalry in the country. An assistant coach who transferred from the rivalry is still not allowed to attend the strategy meetings against the rival when they play. This after being at the university for over 8 years!

Anyway, I really appreciate the information. I know I'm a Gooner newbie so bear with me. I'm trying to catch up as fast as I can.

Steve,

May I suggest you read a book named `Fever Pitch` by Nick Hornby.

I very funny and brilliantly written book about a gooner`s obsession with The Arsnal through the 70,s and 80,s

This is the bible of many gooners.

It has also been made into a movie starrring Colin Firth.

Not an oscar winner by any means ,but funny in places.

Now if you really want to impress........try and get an away shirt cira 1990,the bruised banana one!!

If you dont pull, in Tony`s in that one,well......... wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by post orgasmic chill:

Steve,

May I suggest you read a book named `Fever Pitch` by Nick Hornby.

I very funny and brilliantly written book about a gooner`s obsession with The Arsnal through the 70,s and 80,s

This is the bible of many gooners.

It has also been made into a movie starrring Colin Firth.

And after that read 'High Fidelity' by the same bloke, also made into a movie but strangely teleported across the Atlantic which didn't quite work for me though it's still an entertaining film - it's got the great John Cusack in it for a start. Just that the North London setting of the book is very familiar to me and I had my own mental images of the characters, like you do. Great soundtrack though. Anyone who gets involved in some of the list threads on here - Top 100 punk singles etc - will appreciate it.

As for 'Fever Pitch' I read a review which criticised the realism of the final scene with the Gooners going wild as Michael Thomas scores the winner at Anfield to clinch the championship saying it would have been more convincing if they had all stood around singing '2-1 to the Arsenal .....'

LG

PS They were lucky to get a point last night - but then again so were Sunderland!

Bought 'Fever Pitch' last night and am a couple chapters into it. Very entertaining. A couple phrases hear and there may need some translating as they are provincial, local phrases. But by and large, I'm enjoying it. Its hard to believe our beloved Gooners were not always a good team.

I'm going to have to get the gold Sega shirt to go along with my red one. My friend I travel with is a West Ham supporter. Based solely on a friend he knows from there and that he stayed near the stadium on his last visit. You don't choose a team because of that?!

Anyway, I'll catch up soon.

OK, no flames, I'm a Premier league newbie of sorts. What criteria are used for teams to move up or down between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. division?

BTW, almost done 'Fever Pitch', loving it! Even more of a Gooner now. So are we really hated? Are we known for having our fair share of football hooligans? I thought Liverpool had that reputation, but that was according to my ex boss who was from there. A Brit friend who lived just outside of North London paid me, what I consider, a nice compliment and said knowing me and where I lived as a child, being a Gooner suits me. I don't think it was meant complimentary but I took it as such.

Just got into a long arugument with the cable TV company for not showing any of the matches in the Champions series going on now. Thank God for the internet!

Archived