Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

Steve. Don't let the trouble put you off. It is very rare in the premiership these days and if you don't go looking for it, you will be fine.

There is virtually no racism whatsoever, except at Millwall.

Got to agree with some of the above posts, that the biggest hatred in Britain is between Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic.

Just as bad in Spain (Barcelona V Real Madrid).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Barcelona and Real Madrid go at it? The Spanish and Italian leagues seem to have a lot of Brazilians.

What about in the Italian leagues? Does InterMilan and Milan AC go at it?

The Germans don't seem too violent. It appears Bayer Munich wins all the time.

Thanks Ozbod, I'll stay away from Millwall. lol.

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

There's a blast from the past - Clive Walker.

Didn't he get locked up for messing around with little girls and then return to football with someone like Dagenham?

As somebody just wrote, I think you might be confusing Clive with Rix. Clive was a bit more of a loner and, IIRC, was done for exposing himself in his living room window!!

Very interesting career though. After getting us to the League Cup Final he missed a penalty in the final which we lost 1-0 and hardly kicked a ball for Sunderland again. I have never seen someone so completely shattered by one mistake. He went into non-league football and did really well, getting to Wembley about half a dozen times with Woking and Cheltenham and he was the first player ever to score 100 goals in both league and non-league football.

I think he is still playing for Moseley (!!) in the Ryman League at the age of about 45.

LG

PS I wonder how manyy people reading this board have got a clue what I'm going on about!!!?

The Italians DO have their share of hooligans.

Roma are making a name for themselves.

Ajax Amsterdam v Feyenoord (Rotterdam) is notorious for trouble/hatred also.

I think the worst of it is over though. It was much worse in the 70's/80's.

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: ozbod ]

I know we only played our reserves but still! Getting shut out like that! Okay, I'm not an expert at football strategy but maybe some more experienced Arsenal fan can explain what happened against Blackburn to me?!

On another note, I work with a Nigerian that played in a school boy league with Kanu. I'm trying to make an Arsenal fan out of him since his mate is on our side.

Just what are you guys talking about? Is it soccer? As a football fan (not soccer) I can tell you that it really is kinda sissy. Just watch the way when someone is taken down they roll about a dozen times, act like they are in incredible pain, don't receive a penalty (or academy award), then get right up and play again. Puss man.

Another dumb question. What is a 'friendly'? Does it mean the game doesn't count on your win-loss-draw record?

By the way, a good article about Premier League football in the Bangkok Post recently. It was primarily for persons such as myself who did not grow up with it but have become recent fans of the league.

And another note, Arsenal is at Liverpool this sunday. On a previous post I noted that an ex-boss of mine is from Liverpool and of course a big supporter. In fact I bought her a Michael Owen Liverpool shirt on my last trip and gave it to her at her going away party in LA. She was in tears, she loved it. Of all the gifts, she only mentions the shirt in her thank you e mail. Anyway, we have a wager that the loser has to buy the other's plane ticket for my trip to England. I can't recall but I also think the 2nd part of the bet is the loser has to visit the others grounds, so after Sunday I may be seeing a game at Anfield or hopefully she'll join me at Highbury Park.

Wish me luck! Chok Dee!

Dodgy bet C S , good luck !

If it was me , and an EX boss won the bet , & they were takin the piss outa gunners , tell em to go f$%^ch themselves , get rodgered solidly & f%%k off for good . I mean you don't work for her any more , it's like callaborating with the enemy . If she was still your boss that would be different , I would be looking for a shag then! smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: zoot ]

Zoot you are too funny. But just like Tony Montana in the movie 'Scarface' ".. there are two things I don't break for nobody: my word and my balls."

I agree its 'dodgy' as you say and I should have checked the schedule to see where the game is to be played, but 'mai pen rai' if I lose.

With regards to above question, a Brit at breakfast this morning explained the term 'friendly' and jokingly said he should not have told me after he learned I was a 'Gooner'. He's a West Ham supporter.

Archived