Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by chocolat steve:

[QB]Another dumb question. What is a 'friendly'? Does it mean the game doesn't count on your win-loss-draw record?

No such thing as a dumb question, Steve. A friendly is a match between 2 countries who are not playing each other in any competition. For example, the recent France-Australia match was considered a friendly, though asking the Gunners to travel so far was anything but "friendly."

As for the Arse and Liverpool, and then the Arse and Chelsea - very satisfiying indeed!

I see some Millwall supporters have found their way to Gooner Corner. Maybe they can refresh my memory, but I am convinced that in the late 80s they were top of the table for a few weeks - even above Arsenal. Does anyone remember which year that was, or is it my mind playing tricks on me? I think it was during Sheringham's time there - maybe 1988? 1989?

And by the way, Steve, Millwall are reputed to have the gentlest, kindest, most demure supporters in football smile.gif" border="0

Also, Kasey Keller of the USA national team fame had a stint there.

Cheers,

froggo

Arsenal are football as Ozztraaaliaaa is cricket, invincible .

I will only tell this story as it is relevant . I have a good mate here in Oz who has had his share of trouble & supports the gooners with a passion I have yet to see in Oz , he has books of statistics ( he does his own doesn't just buy the annuals ) , he has statistics on shit that surely no one else in Oz cares about . Anyway a "freind" of mine needed to get some pot , so my freind Jules tells us to go see "nev" . The freind goes over to nevs , thinkikng , oh well jules said he was arsenal fan so theres something to talk about . "Nev" has a reputation un-parralled in Sydney for spur of the moment violence that leaves him better off . The freind goes in , says what he needs & passes some derogetory comments about how West Ham got canned by Gooners recently , ( in fact he was drunk & was rewmebering Ars vs Newcastle!!!) , the shit hits the fan , the pot flies & a fucking serious beating was narowly avoided !!! Needless to sday this guy consided the hammers to be of some kind of relevance.

Just goes to show there are carazzzies everywhere!!

• 5 weeks later...

Where are you Gooners hiding!! We're near the top of the Premiership, we've beaten Liverpool, tied Leeds and no one seems interested.

I've been a Gooner for less than year while some of you have been Gooners for years and the last response was in December!!!

awww come on Steve. It's not easy being a glory-guzzling gooner, got to take the rough with the smooth. If the gooners don't win a trophy for a couple of weeks, their loyal expat supporters tend to hibernate.

As for the other Cockney Reds (Man Utd), their fans must be in deep despair, beaten by Middlesborough (North-Eastern city near the sea).

So, what to do Glory Seekers? The next trophy is a whole 4 weeks way: the Worthless, oops Worthington Cup on Feb 24 (Spurs Vs Blackburn). If you start supporting Tottenham now, you might recognise some of the players by then.

Just a thought...

only kidding gooners (not really)

Spurs 5 Chelsea 1 laugh.gif" border="0

Leave it to a Spurs supporter to get excited over the Worthington Cup. crazy.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Glad you posted today, Steve, as I was just thinking this morning about the opportunities that this year may hold for the Gunners. Depending on what happens tomorrow, the FA Cup, the Champions league, and the Premiership are still all well within reach. Though I am not sure they have the depth to win the Champions League, with Pires in such form (player of the year?), Henry pouring in goals, and Dixon on his way back to support the rear guard, NOW is the time. Man U and Leeds, and maybe Liverpool should be close to the finish, but this MUST be the year for the Gunners. If no silverware comes the Gunners way, I see some major changes coming up.

So, why the brief silence? Call it cautious, silent optimism, but surely I feel good about their chances.

froggo

quote:

Originally posted by colonel Kurtz:

....Pires was magnifique and we only need 8 men..................who says the FA cup has lost its appeal.

Are you sure you've got the right man? Pires only played about 20 minutes, didn't he? Injuries and suspensions might start kicking in soon and putting that squad to the test - still, big Tone's on his way back! Shame you let Bould and Winterburn go really! When are they deciding how long Henry's out for - be interesting with him and Bergkamp (great goal, BAD challenge) out together .....

Some great football over the weekend but it still seems odd when some teams are treating it as not much more important than the Worthless, and the fans are following suit - 17,000 at Boro against United! Chelsea's of Chelsea with 5,000 empty seats for a London derby - I bet Upton Park is full for the replay! - to see one of the goals of the season. JFH is about the only player I would swap Phillips for and the poor bugger won't be playing in the World Cup.

Bad luck for the Posh against the Scum last night, though I have to admit Robby Bobson has put together a very professional oufit there now. Bastard.

LG

quote:

I have to admit Robby Bobson has put together a very professional oufit there now. Bastard.

LG[/QB]

Never thought I would see the day when Long Gun would ever admit such a thing. Still, Newcastle must be commended for their fine form to date.

Agree with LG that the Gunners will be tested as a result of upcoming suspensions. This was the point (i.e., squad depth)I was making earlier. Hopefully, Adams will not get injured brushing his teeth, and Dixon should also back in form soon enough. That should help, though when Grimandi and Edu start seeing playing time in midfield due to suspensions/injuries, then we can truly gauge the depth of the squad.

I shelled out $50 to watch the FA Cup here in the States the other day, and instead of Arsenal/Liverpool was treated to Newcastle. I almost threw my beer bottle into the television set. I am counting my days until I am back in LOS and the most football friendly cable outfit in the world, UBC. Yes, I really did say that. Even during all those years spent in London, I never enjoyed as much live football as I did in Bangkok.

Thrilled about the FA Cup win - the replay is on here in an hour.

Cheers,

froggo

Archived