what to bring from USA to help BGs kid be smarter ?

LAX

thanks,

the kids are up country so taking them to the book store is a great idea but not going to happen ,

And the English has to be very simple as most BGs can not read English , or very much of it , but I also do not care if the BGs learn a little helping out their kids ,

It really does not bother me if the kids look at it once and do not care , at least they had a chance , if they like it they will show the other kids,

One question , will the kids be better off learning the English alphabet than not learning it ?

I guess I know that the answer is YES , it cannot hurt ,

My western bias says that English is best, its probably true in the world economy , just wonder if it is true in Thailand ?

Yeah I know I think too much , probably because I had stuff to do when I was young and still love doing stuff !

anyway keep the ideas coming

thanks Dave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English is a great skill. But what good is learning the english alphabet? Think about how you learned the alphabet. Was it through reading the same alphabet book over and over? No, it was through constant repetition from multiple sources like TV shows, toys, class, etc. It's all integrated and I really think it would take a very special and precocious child to be able to take something individually and get much from it.

I would buy english language dvd's of sesame street over any books. But my bias is more to interactive experiences. Get them a Wii!

Go to the government/public school supply shop near the democracy monument in BKK. This is a huge place full of just this kind of thing. Keep it simple, flash card games are fun when used properly. The key to any of this is making it fun!

I also found the write in books go over well with the older kids learning to read and write. Some have quizes and such.

The biggest obstacle will be having someone the kids can play these games with. Worth a try.

It is called an international school education..

Are you looking just for a "feel good" accomplishment but adding little sustainable change?

If you truly want to help these kids, then join or contribtute to some existing NGO or start a meaningful one yourself...

Commitment, involvement or interest sure has different levels of activity...

Unless you are a very special person, it is a waste of time and effort getting involved/interested only....

Just wondering if it is to alleviate a sense of guilt? And I don't mean that in a bad way....

CB

Guilt ?????

no fucking way , I am sure that there are others that would like to help some if they could ,

Even helping a little is better than none at all,

its weird that I have to defend myself for trying to do something good ,

I think we all love and hate Thailand , but one way that it will get better is if the kids get smarter, so even getting them interested in a comic book is something , wanting to learn anything is a big improvement .

I like Old Hippies idea and I may go over that way and look, there is another school supply place right next to MBK-National Stadium.

Anyway if I am "adding little sustainable change" thats OK with me , I am just asking what stuff to bring from here....

thanks for your ideas

Dave

Are you really asking the board how to spend $5-$10? You think $5-$10 will make a BG's kids smarter? If you spend it on magic smart-stuff from the all-holy West? Might as well buy them some candy for $5-$10; that will at least make them happier.

If you really want to help, you should consider their environment, which is quite different from the one you grew up in, at least if you grew up with decent teachers and schools and parents who engaged in reasonably brain-engaged conversation. Getting them some books in English is well-intentioned but totally useless in their context. It's like trying to make a pig sing.

Here's what I strongly recommend: hire a local teacher (or some other relatively educated local person) to give the kids weekly tutoring sessions. Maybe 500 baht for an hour or two of the tutor's time. Once a week, or if that's too expensive, once a month. Have the tutor introduce some new activity or idea or thing to them at every session. Have the tutor engage them in conversations (as they grow up), teach them proper Thai, teach them how to ask and answer questions (difficult to find such a tutor in rural Thailand, I realize). I think that would have a tremendous effect, and make up for a lot of the kids' chronic family and social disadvantage.

Otherwise, for $5 or $10 as a one-shot deal, you're really not going to do them much good. (By the way, can we assume that their basic needs, such as nutrition, are already met? It's hard to be a little philosopher when you're hungry or sick.)

One of the reasons I love this forum is because on the one hand, I get yelled at for casually tossing a BG a few extra hundred baht and destroying the nightlife with its power. And then someone else gets yelled at for trying to buy a thoughtful gift for a BG's child because the gift is too small to be meaningful.

Yelled at? The original poster didn't just ask for a "thoughtful" gift. He asked for something that would "help BGs kid be smarter." For under $10. Take Thailand out of the equation, and think about posting on a message board in your home country asking what gift you could give your secretary's children for under $10 to "help them be smarter." Would you be laughed at?

CTO: Good deal. I was factoring in some padding for tutor's transportation costs, for tutor being a cut above average (e.g., being able to engage in Socratic dialogue, even if not calling it that), and the "rich farang is paying" surcharge.

That said -- there's some chance that the mom and the tutor will nix the lessons and split the money. But you sends your money & takes your chances.

Archived