what to bring from USA to help BGs kid be smarter ?

LAX

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated, it professes of arrogance, superiority and divine intervention...

About 80% of posts people make about Thailand, from politics to business, fall into this category. Why call this one out specifically? First world country citizens generally feel this way about third world countries.

Heart Thais,

First of all I want to re-state, I think it is wonderful that the poster is willing to buy a toy to give to a kid. But what is laughable is the reasoning behind it..."better life, sustainable change, become smarter..."

Lets not make such a big deal about this single act..What is he really accomplishing...putting a smile on a kid's face, bringing some fleet moments of happiness and fun for the kid. I commend him and many others by the way who do such a thing in Thailand.

But lets not overstate what is really being accomplished or not accomplished in this thread. And then other posters jump on the bandwagon stating this is one of the best threads in recent memory. Get serious....

I see this thread as no difference from christians teaching basketball to hill tribe people, the punter who throws 10/20K a month at his BG and complains why he doesn't see change in her behavior...

Call a spade a spade..Maybe you are right: it is the "savior" attitude we possess in the West no matter how small, we can put on the knight costume and declare victory...

In reality, I truly believe the greatest benefit is the "feel good" we get out of it and much less benefit to its recipients as stated by the wording in the title...

In this case, the act (and it is a good one) but the expected outcome just don't jive...

Its like we always have the quick answers and remedies but clueless to the problems as we would define them as such...

CB

Argueing because you find the title arrogant? You think he's arrogant when you find it neccessary to preach about a meaningless title in a thread attempting to do something positive. Take a look in the mirror bud, the delusional one is you.

If he's trying to do something helpful, regardless of his intent (why the hell do you care what it is anyway?) then let him do it.

Seriously nitpicking on words, especially in a forum where not everybodys primary language is the same... if you have nothing to contribute to this thread why are you here?

"...But what is laughable is the reasoning behind it..."better life, sustainable change, become smarter...""

I don't find it laughable at all. Studies show kids who are exposed to education and learning early, in a fun and positive manner, often do better in school. Hence, learning games etc are indeed a good thing.

The guy obviously has some sort of "situation" with a woman who has kids, and maybe he is thinking long term here. What ever his reason, getting a kid turned on to learning is a good thing.

Now back to bashing whores...

Weird,

Do you wish for me to critique your post?

OH,

Big supporter of educational toys/games over non-educational ones. As you say, you are making reference to sucessful studies which involves a lot of time, measurement, control/experimental groups, hypothesis, criteria, etc...

I doubt the author is carrying to this extent nor should he unless he really has an interest in proving something. But then one should not state it in terms of a hypothesis...

If the author would have said "I want to buy an educational gift. If it helps, great, if it doesn't no big deal..." Now there would have been a realistic expectation of his gesture...

You live in the bay area...A few years back, a local woman sponsored one high school class (low socio-econ area of Oakland) where she said she would pay for all the kids further education beyond high school. Great incentive, great effort and great success. All the kids in that class (100%) except for the ones who died in the process went on to college where less than 10% normally do. Now there is a worthy effort and would be fitting of the author's title...

Following Weird's logic and how he thinks, there are a lot of extremely bright and smart economically poor kids who are recipients of the annual Chiang Mai toy drive..As one of the givers, I have yet to meet anyone who equates to giving an annual toy and the effectiveness it has on their intellectual capacity..Maybe Weird can dig up an article on Chiang Mai hill tribe kids and their intellect...

People of reasonable mind and body are just happy enough with a smile and some enjoyment...No "pie in the sky" expectations...

CB

Tutors are a lot cheaper than that - we pay 300 baht for two hours hiring local teachers for our work - they are very happy with this amount.

This sounds good to me. My gf has a daughter11, an adopted son9, and rwo nephews 14 and 16. The 14 year old is a problem but the others are OK. We have geven then computers that they are not as interested in now as they were when they got them. The computer printers was no problem of the line for 3kb plus 2 kb and toner. A tutor might be able to direct to their intrests.

zde

Go to the government/public school supply shop near the democracy monument in BKK. This is a huge place full of just this kind of thing. Keep it simple, flash card games are fun when used properly. The key to any of this is making it fun!

I also found the write in books go over well with the older kids learning to read and write. Some have quizes and such.

The biggest obstacle will be having someone the kids can play these games with. Worth a try.

I like that idea. I have been to this bookstore and it has material for all ages. I will do this when the kids are in town. I think that a tutor might also be a good idea.

zen

A few unfair assumptions on this thread about the quality of bar girls as mothers. I know some who are working to pay their way through uni.

I would buy english language dvd's of sesame street over any books. But my bias is more to interactive experiences. Get them a Wii!

I was coming here to say the same thing about Sesame Street. Played a big part in my early development. Luckily I managed to not pick up an American accent.

Archived