Do you judge people by their earnings ?

With 1-2 exceptions, most of the people I know who have really big money, did almost nothing to earn it. Most had it all handed to them via trust, inheritance, taking over an established family business etc...I tend to think a lot less of these people than I do of someone with less who has actually earned it all.

Success is what you achieve, not what you have.Of course I tend to be a really petty, jealous prick, and hate anyone who has more than I do, so maybe not the best one to judge?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we are talking about "hi-so" affiliated people we cannot know if there is anybody from that class on the board since a real "hi so" would not advertise himself as such. Would be considered un-gentlemanly behavior and contradict the core value of la bourgoise: elegant low key discretion.

Any one announcing his hi-so affiliations is just a vulgar social arrivist.

Anyway, the hi-so group is not my tribe so what do I know...

Myself just being a middle class guy from my upbring (and income), I meet through my job hi-so's occasionally. Some of those hi-so's belong to the upper end of their country's financial and/or cultural elite. They are usually very, very low key, and very well mannered. Actually some of them are so low key, that if we wouldn't know them personally we would think that they would be some educated middle class people and not people who have named a famous building after them...

But money itself hasn't anything to do with class, being classy and with manners.

There are so many ultra rich, but really boring, annoying and ultimately uneducated people around who just define themselves by their houses/yachts they own and the celebrities they associate with - just go to Monaco or Miami Beach and you will find those boring hi-so's them in high numbers.

Also in some area's like the art and culture scene it isn't about the money anyway, it is about what are you doing/producing. In the culture scene being highly regarded for the quality of your work often doesn't translate into high paying jobs. Especially artists, even if they are leading artists, often don't earn much money. But they are by far more interesting than rich CEO's or company owners.

Sister got married to a nondescript, average looking young man...who is working part time in a flower arrangement shop.

-> he is the grandson of a quite famous Belgian

(I mean everyone who has his artwork used as the centerpiece of the international airport etc...is not Mr unknown).

Intelligent, well educated fellow (now brother in law) but nobody would ever think he is quite wealthy...

On the other hand, the CEO of the multinational company I am working for is a as*** of the worst kind....

:dunno:

Archived