Airport train link?

drogon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I went to the link provided in the story (www.railway.co.th) and the English version gives no information whatsoever (that I could find) about the airport link at all. The Thai version of it has a website link to click on but brings you right back to where you began. Typical.

The story says the train will run from Phaya Thai station to Suvarnabhumi with no stops and it will take about 25 minutes. It mentions nothing about getting back or if it's free or if they will ask for a 'donation' of some sort.

Airport link begin tomorrow (Tuesday, 1st June):

1) 7:00 HRS to 10:00

2) 16:00 HRS to 19:00

and talking with SRT officer who mentioned that this is testing run only 2 weeks but news showed upto August.

Period of train - every 20 mins of 1) and 2)

NEWS UPDATE... 31st May, 2010

Airport Link Starts Test Run Tomorrow

The train linking the Suvarnabhumi Airport to the Phayathai area will open for test runs from tomorrow onwards. The general public will be allowed to use the train for free from tomorrow to August 2010.

Source: May 31st, 2010 by Thai-Asian News Network

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I will be in BKK in a few weeks. Three questions:

Sounds like this was this just a trial run. Will it still be running at the end of June? When will it open for good? What kind of scams will I have to look forward to, or have they not established themselves yet?

Hi. I will be in BKK in a few weeks. Three questions:

Sounds like this was this just a trial run. Will it still be running at the end of June?

[color:blue]This is in a post just a few above yours. "The general public will be allowed to use the train for free from tomorrow to August 2010.[/color]

When will it open for good?

[color:blue]Impossible to answer this question as it has already been delayed for years. If the test runs prove another problem, who knows when it will open then?[/color]

What kind of scams will I have to look forward to, or have they not established themselves yet?

[color:blue]About the same scams you'd get on the BTS or MRT.[/color]

• 2 months later...

Anyone here know exactly where the Station is in the Airport i.e. sort of directions to it from Immigration / Baggage collection ??

I've read the Airport site information and it gives no hint of where the station is located. Indeed the information that they do give is way out of date.

I've read the http://bangkokairporttrain.com/ site and it too gives no hint.

The following is the closest I've got to know where the station really is.

NEWS UPDATE... 9th August 2010

Airport Link a Potential Tourism Bonanza

The long-awaited opening of the Airport Rail Link on Aug 23 will substantially enhance the convenience of visiting Bangkok but a number of critical missing links impede connectivity with the city's mass-transit systems.

Providing easy access [color:red]right under the Suvarnabhumi terminal[/color], the Rail Link is smooth and efficient. The cars are spacious with plenty of room for luggage. Visitors will also enjoy panoramic views of Bangkok, including greenery, housing estates, temples, mosques, malls and office towers.

But at least three problems will impede what would otherwise have been a seamless flow of passengers between the Rail Link, the BTS SkyTrain and the MRT underground rail line as they commute from the airport to various destinations, and vice versa:

- The BTS-Rail Link interchange at Phya Thai: There is no escalator down from the BTS station to the level of the connecting walkway to the Rail Link station. The existing escalator only goes up. Those going down must use steps, a problem if one has luggage. There are no luggage trolleys at the station either. Besides, a small part of the walkway from the SkyTrain station to the Rail Link station is being built but is projected to be completed by the launch date.

- The MRT-Rail Link connection at Makkasan: This should have been possible from the Makkasan terminal to the Phetchaburi MRT station, but it does not exist. An MRT executive said a walkway was awaiting approval, and would take three months to build once approved. Hence, those getting off at the Makkasan Rail Link terminal cannot access the Phetchaburi MRT station.

- Lack of a single commuter ticket between the airport Rail Link, the SkyTrain and the MRT is the biggest obstacle. Arriving visitors heading for say, the Hua Lamphong rail terminal, will have to first buy the Rail Link ticket, then a SkyTrain ticket and then an MRT ticket separately at each interchange.

Thanks.

Archived