iPhone data w/prepaid sim

liquidflux

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely it will work straight away. Service Providers want you to surf. When I got my new phone it only took a few minutes until I got an SMS that set up my phone so I could use SMS, MMS and internet.

Afaik, most people owning an iphone are on a monthly plan including a data flatrate.

At least, with prepaid, you won't get a nasty surprise.

Standard email (gmail, hotmail) can be set up within 1 minute.

For Facebook, Twitter, Skype, e.g. you'll have do download free Apps. I do this usually using iTunes or directly via my iPhone while using WiFi at home or at work.

I already spent several hours surfing for helpful apps. Since last week I have download around 40 of them (free and paid).

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

If you connect to the Internet via WiFi of course everything is free.

If you connect to the Internet via 3G/Edge you'll have to pay for every kilobyte transferred, while using any of the services which need access to the internet.

It depends on the individual prepaid plan if there is any internet access included or not. If there is internet access included it usually has a time and/or data transfer limit, and/or high fees per minute.

Anyway, in my country there aren't (officially) any prepaid Sims for the iPhone available.

If you own a iPhone for the first time you will soon realize that you will connect to the internet much more than with any other mobile phone before. That's why most iPhone users have a data flatrate.

And I guess you know that connecting to the net via 3G/Edge outside your home country is extremely expensive. There are many stories of travelers who had a new iPhone and who forgot to switch off internet access while traveling abroad and returned after three weeks with a phone bill of 3.000 - 5.000 USD...

If email is most important for you, the Blackberry email data plans are much cheaper and can be even used abroad (with an additional roaming plan).

I am sure the OP is fully aware of such and was asking will it work on a Pre-Paid SIM ie a visitor to Thailand wanting to pick up a local SIM and use data.

OP

True Move Inter Sim should suit your needs, the info is a bit dated and there may be better deals available now.

Currently TRUE have the best 3G coverage in and around Bangkok. Your best bet is to go to the TRUE shop at Siam and see whats on offer.

From poking around on the net I was able to find that AIS, DTAC and TRUE all offer data plans for prepaid sims. They can be purchased in hourly amounts, or by paying a flat fee for unlimited 30 day use.

TRUE does appear to have the best data coverage around BKK, but I've heard their voice coverage is spotty elsewhere. Since I'll be moving about the country I'll probably give them a miss and go with one of the other two.

Give DTAC a miss then if voice coverage in remote areas is a requirement and Stick with AIS.

Have you considered getting 2 SIM one for Data / Voice from TRUE when in areas where voice coverage is OK and a basic 100 THB AIS SIM.

I have Post Paid with True and a Pre Paid AIS SIM, if I am going somewhere off the beaten track where I know TRUE coverage sucks I just set "Call Forwarding" to AIS Number and change SIM's over.

Archived