Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

And Voting is way more important... and gets way more people killed.

post-98-0-98483800-1360458862_thumb.jpg

I remember that Alabama has a "no driving driving license". It is solely for ID purposes. If Alabama can do it, so can other wealthier states.

p.s. I am old and poor ... and have always been a registered Democrat, though I usually vote a split ticket.

p.p.s. The one time I bought a pistol, I not only had to show my ID, but I had to wait several weeks for a background check before I could pick it up.

What's wrong with IDs right? Absolutely nothing. My main issue however is this. The reasoning behind it is to stop voter fraud. A non existent problem according ot the stats. The result of the ID laws, which has been proven, is that it reduced the number of people who would have actually voted.

Its insiduous. The reason the ID laws are being enacted is to reduce the number of people voting, specifically voters who usually vote for the opposition. There is no other reason.

Its so completely unAmerican to make a law for that purpose. So, while I like it in theory, I don't in practice. I would love for full participation in an election even if I knew from polling data my guy would not win. I truly would want that. i want a full participatory electorate. Because my hope is that they will eventually be an informed electorate. In time, we will be a better, stronger nation if more people participated in our Republic.

The result of the ID laws, which has been proven, is that it reduced the number of people who would have actually voted.

Show me this proof.

My impression is that this voter id issue is a Repulican move to unfairly exclude Dems from voting. It's not really about ids -- most people have ids.

Like above, show me how you found this impression. ACORN, for example, was a 100% dem "movement."

Some of the worst voter fraud I know of took place in Mayor Daley's Chicago. Democrats used to control most of the major cities. A Democratic Congress once refused to seat Rose Kennedy's father, "Honey Fitz", since his election from Boston was so blatantly rigged.

A friend from Scranton, PA told me about Democrat politics in that city in the 1960s. His father was big in the party there. One election, my friend said he looked at the clock and said he'd better go vote before the polls closed. His father told him, "Sit down. You've already voted."

It seems to be the Republicans playing games these days, but it is certainly not something only they do.

... show me how you found this impression.

Have you been listening to the news? Where have you been? In the Afgan Mountains? That's what all the commotion is about wrt ids. Did you read my post above?

"The premise is that the poor and the old are more likely to be Democrats and are more likely not to have an ID. So having an ID requirement to vote would be an advantage to Republicans in winning an election because more Democrates will be turned away than Republicans for not having an ID. "

Have you been listening to the news? Where have you been? In the Afgan Mountains? That's what all the commotion is about wrt ids. Did you read my post above?

"The premise is that the poor and the old are more likely to be Democrats and are more likely not to have an ID. So having an ID requirement to vote would be an advantage to Republicans in winning an election because more Democrates will be turned away than Republicans for not having an ID. "

Yes to all. But I don't...

1) See how you get this is a republican only issue. Again I bring you ACORN. They are up to I think 50 convictions of voter fraud.

Link 1

Link 2

2) Do not agree with you that requiring ID's makes people not vote. Nor have I seen any credible evidence proving it does. Look up voter id rules in other countries.

I don't believe voter fraud by people not having a photo ID is a significant problem, although there have been few. Voter supression using photo id requirement is more of a problem. In 2011, more than 100 Democratic members of Congress urged the Department of Justice to oppose a legislation to impose restrictive photo ID requirements that has been prepared by the conservative organization ALEC , arguing that it "has the potential to block millions of eligible American voters, and thus suppress the right to vote."[10] [see Wikipedia under voter suppression] Personally, I don't have any problem with photo id requirement for voters as long as it doesn't block eligible voters. But in this political climate, it may not be possiible to impose this requirement in a fair manner.