General Legal/Marital question

Coss

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just leave or leave AND divorce? It would seem simple enough if the latter. Draw up some papers saying she gets everything material and you get nothing except your bank accounts. Obviously, she would have to agree to this.

If it's just you walking away giving her all material assets, as was mentioned earlier by TC, she could probably come after you in a divorce for cash, depending on NZ law.

NG - leaving NZ, no property in Thailand.

Ditch the lot, giving her the house means I satisfied my obligations, then off I go to start again.

Thai Home - marriage in NZ not LOS

Not being qualified in NZ but it having similar laws to those found in both England and Australia, it would seem that you would merely do a property settlement agreement, endorsed by the court (usually a formality, i.e., handed up in camera (not full court proceedings, just back room paper work stuff)) that would end any future property obligations by you as towards her. Any legal centre would assist you or a lawyer would charge you a nominal fee (about $750 - $1,000).

A piece of paper without the correct wording would be invalid and meaningless, and give rise to a later claim. Mind you, if you give her everything then it is hard to put a claim on anything else at a later date, but then, you would not be in a position to finance any transfer to overseas, one would then question any hidden assets :beer:

However, if you win Lotto and she has a serious accident, a court may entertain a future award but it would be nominal (the usual factor here is having had children with her).

"she has a serious accident" now we're talking...

I was hoping to avoid confrontation and just disappear one day.

Looks like I'll have to bide my time, and engineer a house sale, split the money and divorce.

Bugger, so much shouting :(

Sounds like you need to speak to an NZ lawyer.

I've no doubt you can give her the house but what about your other marital obligations. You can't just walk away from them, can you? Does she have her own income?

If you don't divorce you won't be able to marry again, but then you may not want to, however you'll still have responsibilities to your current wife. :confused::dunno:

Archived