Brisbane Qld

Mekong

Hi to my antipodean friends.

There is a very good chance that I may have landed a permanent managerial position in Brisbane and was wondering is it worth considering.

In EU I can easily earn EURO 12,000 / Month so thats about AUD 15,000 or 180.000 per annum.

What is brissy like to live in, cost of living, entertainment {ie live bands} etc etc.

Basically sick and tired of divorce proceedings here and just need to start a new life elsewhere, I would still maintain Thai home but I need time away for a few years.

Any feedback appreciated.

Kong

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kong, I lived in Brissie from 1992 to 2003 and again from 2008 to 2010, but it has exploded in the last ten years so you might be better served by posting on Whirlpool :

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

When I first arrived in Brissie, it was still a 'big country town' - ignore anyone who tries to tell you that today. SE Qld has some of the worst traffic anywhere in Oz, particularly on the feeder arterials going north, south and west (east isnt much fun either ..).

The big problem is that there has been very little planning, and its pretty grim unless you can afford to live at least 5km from where you work - this, combined with a massive influx of students from OS and other parts of Oz, means that rents are steep - maybe not Tokyo steep, but ridiculously expensive compared to the Brisbane of old.

My favourite part of Brissie, West End, has an incredible mix - dole recipients to multi-millionaires and every nationality you can think of - and its an easy walk into the CBD, but the rents are crazy compared to what I paid up to the point where I bought a house in 97.

Still, if you can land a job paying ~180K in Brissie, I doubt that any of the above will be an issue for you : probably achievable for contractors in industries like IT, but tougher to get a permanent gig paying that kind of money.

In terms of safety, I'd avoid cab ranks and the like late at night, but mostly the CBD is reasonably safe - you will soon learn where the rougher parts of town are. After some of the cities you've lived in, I imagine it will all seem pretty tame, but shit does happen on the streets of all our cities - caveat emptor. :grinyes:

'BrisVegas' and 'Brisneyland' were both dreamt up in the 90s by various movers and shakers in an attempt to drive a wedge into the usual tourist obsession with Sydney and Melbourne. If any part of SE Qld deserves the 'Vegas' appendage, its the Gold Coast, but I'm sure Kong will find out all about that if he decides to relocate. I hope he enjoys hot, sticky weather.

Have a friend that moved there with his Thai wife about 4 years ago. He likes it ok, but isn’t what you call excited about it. He’s on an expat package so gets his US salary (no uplift), housing allowance (A&750), a COLA (about A$1,500, but changes as FX changes), and car allowance (A$500), and tax equalization (very much needed in Australia, apparently).

Not exactly a money maker but he says it is ok. I can’t imagine going on local package. The salaries area about the same, but you have to pay for housing and car, etc yourself. Not a deal I would go for.

I have considered it many times over the past few years as there are lots of positions, but have just never been able to pull the trigger. Just can’t see moving to a “normal†place and putting up with all the BS that comes with that, both at work and outside.

TH

Still, if you can land a job paying ~180K in Brissie, I doubt that any of the above will be an issue for you : probably achievable for contractors in industries like IT, but tougher to get a permanent gig paying that kind of money.

Cheers for the feedback gobbie, I do believe that Consultant Engineers in the Oil & Gas Industry are higher paid than IT Contractors. I have always worked as a freelance consultant for 25 years but now I have gained my Masters of Science in Oil and Gas Engineering with a distinction in Automation {Computer Control Systems}and fast approaching 48 years old I am coming into demand for serious management positions on a permanent basis, I didn't even apply for the position but was head hunted.

I won't mention the client yet but it is one of Chevron, Exxon Mobil, BP, Petronas etc, I have always worked with major Oil & Gas Companies.

Kong

True, fossil fuels pay well, but I suspect that is the case anywhere in the world. I dont know to what extent a job like that requires you to fly out to the sites themselves, but from what my mate told me (he was just a labourer), its not much fun out there. Still, for that kind of money a few 50 deg C days wouldnt be the end of the world.

Hi Gobbie

I don't do site work anymore I sit in the Ivory Tower and have minions to do the dirty work.

They have offered AUD 225K / Annum for permanent staff position and I am seriously considering the offer, I need to make some serious $$$$ over the next 7 years to retire at 55. I still have property in Thailand where I can visit and eventually retire to.

References accepted, qualifications verified and first interview passed, just see how it goes over the next few days

Kong

Hi Gobbie

I don't do site work anymore I sit in the Ivory Tower and have minions to do the dirty work.

They have offered AUD 225K / Annum for permanent staff position and I am seriously considering the offer, I need to make some serious $$$$ over the next 7 years to retire at 55. I still have property in Thailand where I can visit and eventually retire to.

References accepted, qualifications verified and first interview passed, just see how it goes over the next few days

Kong

What the fuck is it with you Kong? In the years I've been a BM one thing has been noticeable in your posts and that is your penchant for bragging about how much you earn, how much you get as stipends, how great you think you are doing and in this case how much you might earn. I don't see other BM's talking about their income, only you and now Think 2 Much who seems to have joined your bandwagon. It's crass and shallow, although you have your groupies (hi Bust), and indicates that you want others to admire you because of your perceived success as we saw in many of your posts last year. Perhaps you should go to Oz and get a life.

Munchie

This was posted in careers and Finance so IMHO statements on income are just statements and not bragging, the fact is there is money to be made out there as long as you dont sit on your fat arse in Dubai all your life.

Now if you think that I am bragging you are just showing your jealousy since you don't have the balls to make the extra $$$.

Yes we disagree on many things but I still think you are a decent chap

Kong

Archived