Basic Question About Iphone/cell Phones

dean

I have an Iphone 4Gs (originally used on the Sprint network)that I bought a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. I naively thought that, between Virgin and Boost Mobile (both part of the Sprint network), I could get a pre paid plan and not have to do a 2 year contract. After several days of checking, I found neither Virgin or Boost willing to activate the phone on their network. I suppose that Sprint would, but would involve a 2 year contact and I would lose out on the discount that they offer to buy a new phone. Are there any options, like unlocking the phone (or jailbreaking it), or should I just sell the phone on Ebay/Craigslist and buy another phone on a pre paid carrier (I really don't want a contract carrier). Any information to someone who last had a cell phone 10 years ago on Verizon would be appreciated. it.

But unlocking should work.

See www.iClarified.com for ideas and instructions.

I am not sure of. US restrictions but what Baa99 states makes sense, it the carrier refers to IMEI then Jailbreaking won't help one bit.

There are ways to change your IMEI but it is totally illegal so I won't post it here!

I put the phone on Craigslist for sale but couldn't come anywhere close to selling for what I paid, so , also on Craigslist, I found someone who unlocks Iphone 4s for $35. The phone now reads as a T-Mobile, with the sprint micro sim out of it. I ordered a $45 plan off of Straight talk, which seems reasonable for unlimited talk, text/data and web. They are one of the few phone carrier phone companies that allows one to bring their own Iphone to have it activated. I really don't understand the logic in chasing away customers that have perfectly good phones or forcing them to buy a phone from the carrier. I should receive the sim card by Wednesday and then, hopefully, activating it won't be a problem. Can I buy a micro sim card while in Thailand next June-August and use the phone there?

I put the phone on Craigslist for sale but couldn't come anywhere close to selling for what I paid, so , also on Craigslist, I found someone who unlocks Iphone 4s for $35. The phone now reads as a T-Mobile, with the sprint micro sim out of it. I ordered a $45 plan off of Straight talk, which seems reasonable for unlimited talk, text/data and web. They are one of the few phone carrier phone companies that allows one to bring their own Iphone to have it activated. I really don't understand the logic in chasing away customers that have perfectly good phones or forcing them to buy a phone from the carrier. I should receive the sim card by Wednesday and then, hopefully, activating it won't be a problem. Can I buy a micro sim card while in Thailand next June-August and use the phone there?

If you iPhone is unlocked you can use it with any SIM card.

It would have to be a mirco sim card, as that's what the Sprint Iphone uses. My niece uses the ATT network for her Iphone 3 and likes it, and ATT has had the contract with Apple for the Iphone the longest (so hopefully, they have worked out the bugs by now), so I think that Straight talk, which uses the ATT network, should work out fine. If it doesn't, I'm on a month to month usage and can quit at any time.

Archived