Extended Visit, Visa Expires

The_Munchmaster

I was due to fly back to the UK on Thursday (27) but have just extended my return flight by 4 weeks until 26 October!

My visa on arrival allows me to stay until Friday (28) so I have to get out of the country for a few days and then come back in again to get another 30 days (I'm assuming that's still OK). So any suggestions for a trip out (I've been to quite a lot of places in the region), that I need to organise quickly. Luang Prabang has been recommended.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, don't take this as gospel, check it out for the real story but I think if you re-enter Thailand on either a visa free stay or a tourist visa at a land crossing, Cambodia/Laos etc you will only get 15 days. I also recall something about you being limited to 90 days in country in any 180 day period so if you have been here a bit in the last six months you might run afoul of that. Not sure if these restrictions are still in place but worth checking to avoid a big grump-on at re-entry.

Okay, don't take this as gospel, check it out for the real story but I think if you re-enter Thailand on either a visa free stay or a tourist visa at a land crossing, Cambodia/Laos etc you will only get 15 days. I also recall something about you being limited to 90 days in country in any 180 day period so if you have been here a bit in the last six months you might run afoul of that. Not sure if these restrictions are still in place but worth checking to avoid a big grump-on at re-entry.

You could go to Vientiane and get a real 60 day tourist visa.

Thanks RM. I was here for a month in June and this month as well so my next 30 days will constitute 90 days so should be ok on that front.

He means fly to Laos. Then you can get a full visa, which you couldn't by going overland. Get it at the Thai consulate.

How about Georgetown, Penang Island, Malaysia? Ever been there? One hour flight by Air Asia or whatever. Different enough for a few days - colonial looking (the old part), since it was meant to be what the Brits later turned Singapore into. Good Indian food, a bit of scenery. You can have your hotel do the visa at the Thai consulate for you! Most offer that service. A colleague once even got a visa on a day the consulate was officially closed. (Nice little sideline the hotels and consulate have going on.)

Even though it is in Malaysia, Georgetown is a minority Muslim town - mostly Chinese and Indians. Stay at an older hotel such as the Cathay or one of the Chinese hotels on Leboh Chulia. Then you can walk around.

Malaysia gives you a 90-day visa for free on arrival. The Thais would learn from them.

Been to Vientiane before so would rather somewhere different, however pls explain "and get a real 60 day tourist visa".

Wot? You mean you won't fly all the way here just to have a couple of beers with me?

I could take you to the Buddha Park, the rivers for lunch, eat all sorts of pig bits not really meant for eating, think what you're missing!

But seriously, if you do make it here, let me know, there's lotsa Beer Lao :)

Munchie got the visa all sorted (fly out/in & get another free 30 days) so all he asked was recomendations for fly to destinations & may I add to the list:

*Rangoon (yup they require a visa, but can be bought online like cambo/lao too) ;)

*Siam Riep (angkor wat if you havent been there)

*Jakarta/Bali (you know the deal :hubbahubba: ). The bastards also charge (offline) visa/visitor fee, but who cares?

*Vientieane/luang prabang (you really cannot miss up the chance for the grand tour with the best t360 kiwi beer lao guide over there!)

*Brunei ( :snowlaugh ). Well I was there once & 1 night is more than a plenty trust me!!

*Dubai (get the grand tour by you know who :elephant: )

Archived