Computers And Customs

pe7e

Technically it is dependent on your resident status in Thailand, an iMac will fall into the status of "Household Goods" which you have owned for more than 12 months previous and are bringing to Thailand for your own use. In practice it is very rare that customs stop a Farang.

I travel in and out quite often and always carry 2 Laptops a Tablet and 2 Smart and have only ever been stopped once by customs and as soon as I showed them my visa I was waved on my way.

To buy new in Thailand a top of the range 27" iMac 3.2GHz. 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD would set you back 66,900 from Apple I am sure you could get cheaper elsewhere

To buy new in Thailand a top of the range 27" iMac 3.2GHz. 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD would set you back 66,900 from Apple I am sure you could get cheaper elsewhere

That's interesting, I thought they would be much more expensive than 67,000, a good spec used one would cost me that in the UK, and a new one nearer 110,000. It would make more sense for me to buy a new one in BKK when I get there. Thanks for the information.

There is no duty on computer sets in Thailand.

There is VAT 7% if you import it - but hand carry you should not have any issues to bring in - even new.

PM

Whilst I agree with you in principle there is no VAT due if you have a long term visa in Thailand http://www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold

Also what is the difference between hand baggage or cargo hold? Customs is after Baggage reclaim so if boxed how would customs know if it was hand baggage or in the cargo hold.

Air cargo means "shipping" - not taking cargo on board the flight (that is accompanied or un-accompanied baggage) which is a different clearance than shipping cargo in.

You link is also correct - but note the print all talking about Work Permits. And this privilege is only good once (and not over 6 months of the work permit).

Also doesn't apply if you "transfer" your work permit.

And finally - personal affects are "used" - which in this instance the OP was talking about.

That being said - it is not difficult (but time consuming) to do the clearance at the airport. You will save a lot of money - but will take you a full day to get your cargo out.

Cheers!

PM,

OK, my misunderstanding between Cargo and Baggage, you have more experience in that field and I bow down to your superior experience.

I think you must have misread the link I posted, Work Permit is not a requirement, the article also refers to Non-Imm O visa, which could be marriage, supporting family or retirement, even though I must confess that the rules do look rather dated since it has been many years since a 12 month extension to stay was granted outside of Thailand, nowadays given 60 days then apply for 12 month extension to stay at an immigration office closest to where your reported address is.

It is a bit of a catch 22 nowadays isn't it, if someone choses to retire in Thailand they cannot bring their household possessions with them and are only allowed them once the 12 months extension to stay has been granted, OK for someone relocating for a multi-national company or retiring in Thailand with a Thai wife but for a single man retiring here alone a nightmare.

Since the OP is only talking about one computer I would say just wing it mate and stroll through customs bold as brass, very unlikely to get stopped

Getting stopped, which is even less likely now they are pulling resources from the green channel to work in other areas. You'll notice it's much wider a walkway now with far fewer personnel on show. If they are going to stop you they know about it a bit ahead of that. Either way a couple of greys should limit the delay.

Archived