Thailands reputation

liquidflux

Hi,

[color:"red"] Some not so young isaan hooker once showed me her 18 years old daughter,(I think she was really her daughter for some reason)supposedly virgin(no idea if that was true or even told actually) who just had arrived in Bangkok.She told me how she had tought about selling her to a 40+ western guy we both knew a little and who was looking for a long term relationship [/color]

This is what the mother like her only knows. It is sad that her daughter would probably wanted to do something else, but felt trapped.

I was brought up by parents who wanted their children to do better than them, and I don't understand this concept of wanting her flesh and blood to be a whore.

Is this how the poor ISAAN women are looked at? I have met many ex-prostitutes who came from Isaan who worked so hard to get their children to school. It sounds like this woman does not give a flip about her own daughter, how do you think she can have feelings for others?

Jasmine

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

[color:"red"] I think I have fairly good grip on Thai societyThailand is, basically, a whore society, . [/color]

You think you have a good grip on the Thai society? It is just YOUR Thai society and thanks goodness it is NOT mine or many of my friends. Eventhough I do not feel that the prostitution is neccessarily bad, many people would not like to be in that society.

If all things are equal, many of those women will not like to be in that society either. Prostitution has existed and will exist.

[color:"red"] Bitch about it [/color]

We all have opinions and many things we cannot help about it but Thailand has more to offer than prostitution, it is up to you to see and appreciate that other offers.

This seems to be the old returning discussion, some people see Thailand as a whore house, and women from Isaan as the prostitutes serving it. I thought some people on this board knew Thailand better than that, and might have stepped a bit further than Patpong and Pattaya. Eyes sees what they want I guess.

While we are at it, many Thais view farangs as extremely rude whoremongers.

Both these sides of looking at things are ignorant, rude and insulting to all who are in Thai/farang relations of any kind.

I don't know how many of the posters in this thread actually believe in this shit, or are merely referring other peoples opinions. ::

Hi,

[color:"red"] Both these sides of looking at things are ignorant, rude and insulting to all who are in Thai/farang relations of any kind.[/color]

Defenitely insulting, but some people can insult anything or anyone including themselves.

Thanks for the neutral position you take.

Jasmine

I thought some people on this board knew Thailand better than that, and might have stepped a bit further than Patpong and Pattaya

------------------------------

Even staying in Pattaya, you can witness a Thailand without whoring, doing what it does best, namely being thai. I just spent one of the greatest evening last night, 25 kms south of Pattaya (ok, better to have a bike to find out what's going on, away from Beach Rd and tutti quanti), in a little town just before Sattahip. A fair was thrown in honor of a dead patriarch, and the homage-paying was last night. Both the religious and the profane mixed, as usual in these kind of affairs. There was a procession following his coffin being carried to the temple, Wat Teppasat, mostly built with glass and mirror pieces, the whole edifice lighted like an UFO landing in a Spielberg movie. Then the orchestra in the stage behind started rocking to mo-lam and luk-thung music, a dozen girls gyrating on stage to the plaintive singer's Issan snarl, but what was great is that I was invited by the LIKAY actors on the other side of the fair to join them in their dressing room all evening (which is actually the other side of the stage, behind the prop curtain). So first, I was touched by their friendliness thru all the evening (i was over-fed, once again), and was able to witness all the proceedings and the costume changes for the 3 hours i spent there, transfixed. Took quite a few digital pix, would love to share them with anyone interested, and was invited to come see them again in sanam Luang, on the 31st. IMO, beats picking up your tab yet another evening on soi8. No need to say i was the only farang in sight all evening. I should post this again in "ARTS & CULTURE", actually.

"I thought some people on this board knew Thailand better than that, and might have stepped a bit further than Patpong and Pattaya

------------------------------

Even staying in Pattaya, you can witness a Thailand without whoring"

Fair enough P127. Lets change that to Patpong and the massage parlors/bars of Pattaya.

Cheers!

Still, I think neither you ore check_bin_khrap get what I'm saying (which, both, I'm generally agreeing with).

Hell, I love this country and it has noting to do with lower Sukhumvit or Patpong.

But -- fu***ing look at it: There's no other place as Thailand (I think?) anywhere in the world. Take a deep breath and think about it. -- Do you really think that Thailands reputation is totally made up?

To be honest, I don't think any female on this board will ever really understand. You can apply all of the western PC standards, still it has nothing to do with present day Thailand in the lower end of the social classes (and especially, I would like to say, how the hell can you have a valid opinion if you do not live here). My view.

That's just me though....

Yeah, bibblies, then after all I'm not saying anything different 'cause what you bring up is basically true. -- though, of course, Sweden has a lot more to offer and at least 9 million ppl seems happy to live there....I don't see two zilllion boards discussing this on the Internet though and I wonder why?

"But -- fu***ing look at it: There's no other place as Thailand (I think?) anywhere in the world. Take a deep breath and think about it. -- Do you really think that Thailands reputation is totally made up?"

When it comes to countries where men to go get sex, Thailand is certainly not alone even if its the most known case. I've been in Cuba a lot, and the same stuff goes on there. I would say the percentage of sex tourists of total travellers is far higher there. Have you walked on the Prado in Habana in the evening? Hordes of hookers. Loads of Italians, Canadians who go there for sex alone.

Thailand has changed in peoples eyes, its catering to other tourists than males paying for sex. Actually those get a bad deal in Thailand these days, its the lazy and comfortable kind of sex tourists who opt for Thailand.

When it comes to paying for sex? Thats a practise widely spread in all poor countries, even if its more openly done in Thailand than most other places.

Cheers!

[color:"blue"]But what I have always found most curious is the local obssession here with "reputation". Why bother worrying about it? And in particular, why bother worrying about what a bunch of judgmental Scandanvians think?[/color]

Yet, I think you're the one to worry the most if I bring it up to your bank or farang wife (if you have such?) what you're doing on your weekends. -- Does it really have anything to do with Scandivians? I don't think so....

Archived