Thailands reputation

liquidflux

Maybe. It's possible you have a point though I've never been Cuba or South America (other than Mexico) myself. In my world though, I'm not staring myself blind at the number of sex tourists arriving to a certain country but rather how a country works regardless of its tourists.

I maintain, that Cuba is nowhere close to Thailand but feel free to convince me otherwise!-- Do I really have to give you a walkthrough of the Thai prostitution scene?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I maintain, that Cuba is nowhere close to Thailand -- but feel free to convince me otherwise!-- Do I really have to give you a walkthrough of the Thai prostitution scene? "

I get your point, and Thailand is certainly more organized when it comes to the sex industry. But actually Cuba is more dependant on it? Until they can get an infrastructure and attractions to get tourists another way.

I'll pass on that walkthrough offer Straycat! My fiance would kill us both, and it would be an unpleasant death :p

Cheers!

[color:"green"] One thing good about the reputation though, there are many people who know the difference side of Thailand and it becomes a priviledge to meet those types of people. [/color]

I find it ironic that the Thai government and people worry about Thailand's reputation with respect to prostitution BUT not about its reputation as a corrupt country. Corruption is pervasive in both the public and private sector. It is like a huge tax that hampers economic growth and benefits the few at the expense of the many. ::

Don't worry about changing some people's narrow minded perception of Thailand. I doubt they have been beyond Sukumvit Soi 2 in their travels, maybe not further than NANA plaza. As someone who's HAD a girlfriend who was a University student, I can assure you that prostitutes make up a small albeit visible minority. Their visibility is due in part to media, gossipy moralists, and a lack of discretion on fellow farangs part.

I don't claim to be a saint, but to label all Thais as 'sinners' seems to me to be incredibly narrow-minded and exposes the writer as someone who has sampled only a small part of Thailand....

I was under the impression that Thailands global reputation and perception as sex spot was a direct legacy of it's role as an R&R location during the Vietnam War. I further think it is perpetuated because it is still a favorite destination of military personnel as well as amedia favorite as a den of sin. Once you have images broadcasted on a global basis it is really hard to change that.

Repuations I think stem more from historical events, media coverage and generational trends.

I believe that it was not too long ago that the Philipines had a hell of a reputation as sin city until the bases closed. Now there are no more militray guys praising the virtue of the women.

I also know from anecdoctal evidence that if I mention going to Vietnam to certain older generation of colleagues I will immediately hear the imitated Vietnamese hooker voices and phrases such as "Me love you long time!" and Me boom boom you!" . Yet if I mention it to a younger generation of male colleagues then I get no reponses. Now, if I tell the younger generation of guys I am going to Amsterdam then I get all kinds of comments about smoking dope and window shopping for hookers.

Thailand is without doubt the most organised place for a sex tourist to feel welcome! What other country has prostitution info on their official tourist info web? Yes TAT uses quite a bit of lines on running thru the laws & feel they need to mention child prostitution as well :o

Now this is not to say there's anything wrong with that. it's merely proof of it's well known & extensive nature of prostitution. again tourists play only a small role in numbers of punters compared to thai men, but they may play a large role moneywise...

So what's the problem? Whether we choose to hang in pattaya beach soi8 or down in sattatip mingling with the locals at a public performance makes no difference to me :D

Enjoy!

P.S. As for the happiness of scandinavians I think someone hasn't compared suicide rates for scandinavian countries to SEA? Also if number of people living there would be a measure, china would be the best country to live in the world no? well at least untill overtaken by india in a few years!

"Now, if I tell the younger generation of guys I am going to Amsterdam then I get all kinds of comments about smoking dope and window shopping for hookers"

LOL funny though :)

wonder what western countries have 'bad' reputation among asians? netherlands must be high on the list as could australia or germany which if I remember right all have legalized prostitution.

Still I've only seen (asian(japanese/korean)) tours of the RLD's in amsterdam though!!

the first time i went to Thailand i had NO IDEA of what the scene was like.

i went because i had had a personal loss and needed a holiday.

i soon found out what happened and took advantage.

but when i got home and told my friends what Thailand was like,they were amazed.

yes i have returned because i can easily find women to treat me right for the night,but,i have also met women who have become good friends and i have travelled up country and had good times with non BG's.

i know many women who are not BG's like Jasmine and GTG and i despair that people think all thai girls are working in the business of sex.

Says Escape Rabbit:

...And of course I think Thai women are beautiful. I'm kind of a nut though, I like the look of Isaan girls the most.

I too find myself in the minority by seeing the Isaan girls as the most attractive. Also, their kindness really is incredible, far greater than girls from other areas of LOS (IMHO).

Archived