Thailands reputation

liquidflux

Hi!

I jet have to find one, who misbehaved like some of us krauts or some of our friends from the other side of the chanell

They exist in Pattaya. Seek and ye shall find. :D :D

Many Swedes are heavy drinkers. After all there is a reason why our part of Europe often is refered to as the vodka belt. However many older Swedes have often learned to keep their cool while being falling down drunk. Swedish teenagers on the other hand have a very bad reputation in many European skiing resorts, a well earned reputation I might add as I used to go skiing until an accident closed down that paricular avenue of pleasure and I switched my focus to Thailand.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

[color:"red"] I can tell him all I want him to know about Thailand but unless he *wants* to know about these items which in most cases they don't then they DO NOT hear what I am saying and do not appreciate it. Therefore, it is very difficult to change their general perception of Thailand. You can only "change" a view of someone if they are willing to listen and experience....

[/color]

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have many men/women friends who had done a few trips to Thailand and were not interested in the nightlife.

You are correct, ones can tell only the other party can listen and hear you.

Many people feel that the other side of Thai people are prejudice against the BG/ex BG and many reasons can be said again and again. The impact that we, non-prostitutes , must deal with is, the "typical Thai" women are loose and can be bought stigma can be overwhelming at times.

I worked and lived in Franfurt, Germany for 4 years, was in my late 20s, took the train everyday to work downtown and walked 2 blocks to the office. Just about everyday, once some men found out that I was from Thailand, there would be some insinuation and shameless flirtation that I found it distasteful. It is a shame that the preconceived idea prevent people from forming a genuine friendship. With women, mostly I received cold shoulders.

I understand that not all women were included, however such sentences as "Most Thai girls are prostitutes"is not appropriate. Thanks for the good input, I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Hi!

The original post stated that Thailand has a bad rep in Sweden. This is a fact not a genralisation as it probably is in most western countries. Even if it was a generalisation it was made by someone who lives in Thailand. I don't know what first hand knowledge you have of Sweden but I doubt if it is exensive.

It is true that most people don't care what Swedes think. Most people in the world could probably not point out Sweden on a map if their life depended on it. This is probably especially true for Americans who tend to think that Sweden is the capitol city of Oslo. :D

By the same token I doubt that a multitude of people care what you think about Sweden. I know that I don't.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi,

[color:"red"] I find it ironic that the Thai government and people worry about Thailand's reputation with respect to prostitution BUT not about its reputation as a corrupt country. [/color]

I think the government has been concern on both issues. I have not live in Thailand for over 34 years so what little I know is from reading and from my Thai family.

My feel that as long as the poverty is on so many people in Thailand, there will be some who must do what they have to do to survive and I cannot blame them. On corruption, it appears to be greed.

My company offerred me and my husband once to work in Bangkok, and it was not for us, especially for me. The main reason is the corruption, I can not stand seeing it without doing something about it and that can be detrimental to my career (a selfish reason I know).

I cannot comment much on the government, sorry.

Jasmine

Hi,

[color:"red"] As someone who's HAD a girlfriend who was a University student, I can assure you that prostitutes make up a small albeit visible minority. Their visibility is due in part to media, gossipy moralists, and a lack of discretion on fellow farangs part.

[/color]

Thanks for the kind words. I have done the best I can to show people another side of the coin, but as someone posted that if they are not willing to listen, it is hopeless.

However, I am very glad that there are people with maturity and perception enough not to make a sweeping general statement that Thailand is a whoring country (my mother must have been one too), thanks.

Cheers! :D

Hi,

[color:"red"] i know many women who are not BG's like Jasmine and GTG and i despair that people think all thai girls are working in the business of sex.

[/color]

I normally don't run into people who thinks Thailand's asset is only sex, however, once in a while I would have been pulled back to the stigma.

After all these years and with our ages, my husband and I still once in a while would be noticed as a prostitute/client in Thailand! And believe me I know how to clean toilets beter than being a prostitute, if I were in the industry, I would have been starved to death by now.

I am one of the few non-prostitute Thai women who have been helping them outside of Thailand. The reputation comes from "not so well behaved" Thai women and the bad things are remembered more than good things.

Cheers!

Archived