Thailands reputation

liquidflux

Jasmine,

For the last 20 visits to Thailand I have been in the scene maybe once, which was my stag night....Each visit has been with my wifes Family.....

Now with this information at hand ; let me say this :

It is not me (nor Straycat from his general statements) that are saying Thai women are whores or whatever you call them , but, the general populace of most western countries have this perception that Thai women are loose (the reason I use the term "loose" is because I cannot use any worse word to describe them as it would insult myself).....

This is the problem! When I tell people of Thailand they automatically think of the Naughty nightlife vs the culture, environment, people friendliness or whatever else.

I once was talking to some mates about my interest in learning Thai and their first reaction is why do you need it? So you can sweet talk your way in the bars....To me this was a very big insult as here is an occassional visitor to Thailand who sees

1> Golf

2> Go-Go Bars, Massage Parlours, Beer Bars

I can tell him all I want him to know about Thailand but unless he *wants* to know about these items which in most cases they don't then they DO NOT hear what I am saying and do not appreciate it. Therefore, it is very difficult to change their general perception of Thailand. You can only "change" a view of someone if they are willing to listen and experience....

Jasmine, I really do hope you see want Straycat and myself are trying to say. It has nothing to do with *our* experiences or perceptions but the general populace of most western countries....

SB

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine,

"I think I have fairly good grip on Thai societyThailand is, basically, a whore society, . "

Please becareful how you quote other people. I guess you deliberately left out the last part of the sentence which said :

"I still stand by my view though: Thailand is, basically, a whore society, at least for all farang just landed here"

Again, this is more related to the general Joe Bloe tourist .....

Anyway, just wanted to pick you up on quoting someone incompletely and misrepresenting their full statement.

SB.

Straycat,

"but 'Thai friends' that wanted hook me up with 'their nephews younger sisters good friend, only XX years old, but never mind, type of girls'."

I have never ever had this type of proposal before.....Is this a serious statement ? If so, I can see why Jasmine is hitting you hard....

SB.

Funny, before I first came to Thailand I never had a perception of Thailand as a big whore house. I'd seen the occasional sensationalist media piece on child prostitution in Thailand. Thailand was just another asian country until my father married a Thai nearly 20 years ago from the upper classes of Thailand. I never suspected there was so much prostitution catoring to Farang until I first came here with my family, including my stepmother, 8 years ago. Never went to any of the night spots, but of course I got glimpses of what was going on. Never indulged in any of the nightlife activitiies until months after I'd spend months in Thailand with family and friends of my stepmother and travelling. Curiosity (and having not gotten laid for several months ::) finally got to me about 5 years ago.

Does it really have anything to do with Scandivians? I don't think so....
I agree, but then I wasn't the one who originally brought up Scandinavians. To quote from one of your earlier messages:
Thailand has shit-poor reputation in Sweden and probably all over Scandivavia. -- I truly hope though you're not going to blame ME for that?
My point was very simple: who cares?

As for Sweden, I think it is a fine country for short visits, but I also think Bibblies made an excellent point. I am not keen on the religious right or the pc left in my own country either. I just don't like self-appointed, or even elected, moral guardians.

As for the local obssession with reputation, I was referring to "face", and how Farangs may be aware of its importance to Thais, but don't seem to really understand it. I freely admit that after eight years here I don't quite understand the "face" thing and doubt that I ever will. No Farang wife, and no need to get hostile. ::

Jasmine...I realize that your culture and your worldview predispose you to see this issue as you do but consider some of the following points. All may not be as fortunate and strong as you....should they be condemned for this? What is the crime of the ones you refer to as "whore". Their crime is touching and being touched. It's a need we all have, no matter how much we try to deny it. It is a need so strong that some of us are even willing to pay for it. I have never believed that the thing we call "love" takes only one form. Your wonderful Buddhist faith accepts many different ways of expressing faith and worship...Thai people are most flexible in this way. Consider that physical contact is an extension of divinity and a way of expressing our deepest and most personal needs. even if they are sometimes expressed in a crude or inarticulate way. There are worse indictments of a country than to say that the women are "available". In a world where people torture each other and bomb and maim and kill...be HAPPY that your country is known for physical contact and whatever form of loving expression that manifests itself. There is surely some goodness in sexual contact, even if it is the product of commerce. Sex is a healing force and even a civilizing force in this world. See it as you will but the truth is that passion is a feeling that we all have in common and how much better would the world be if we replaced all the torture, cruelty and unkindness with some tender physical contact. Think about it and feel a bit more charitable toward your sisters who feel compelled to trade sex for money. It's not violence, Jasmine, it's people touching each other. Peace.

" be HAPPY that your country is known for physical contact and whatever form of loving expression that manifests itself"

That could be one of the funniest posts I ever read,if only it got a smile out of me.It gotta be one of the most ridiculous than.A girl giving you a head in Star of light...loving expression??the girl you just barfined and you're working on...an expression of love?...dream on Savage...

From Escape Rabbit than I forgot who

"And of course I think Thai women are beautiful. I'm kind of a nut though, I like the look of Isaan girls the most."

"I too find myself in the minority by seeing the Isaan girls as the most attractive. Also, their kindness really is incredible, far greater than girls from other areas of LOS (IMHO)"

Isn't there a moderator to delete those outrages :: ::

On a side note I love it when the working girls call each other (hee)kinkeepriknon (eat,shit,fuck,sleep).Sums it up well...although often they have breaks to do drugs and gamble

"but 'Thai friends' that wanted hook me up with 'their nephews younger sisters good friend, only XX years old, but never mind, type of girls'."

I have never ever had this type of proposal before.....Is this a serious statement ? If so, I can see why Jasmine is hitting you hard...."

Straycat said it happenned to him several times.Why wouldn't it be a serious statement??I don't see why Jasmine would need to pick on him about it.Reminds me many stories,I doubt Jasmine don't believe some guys make money arranging deals with families about getting younger members in the business.Although reports say it goes on less than before

That doesn't change what Jasmine and CBK claim either,that scene is only a portion of Thailand.Big one though,and prostitutes or kind of are what foreigners are mainly due to meet while in Thailand

Legoland,

"That doesn't change what Jasmine and CBK claim either,that scene is only a portion of Thailand.Big one though, and prostitutes or kind of are what foreigners are mainly due to meet while in Thailand "

So are you saying the general populace of foriegn countries are generally meeting "women of the night"? Even though it is only a portion of what Thailand has to offer.

SB.

Archived