Thailands reputation

liquidflux

This has been one interesting thread..

Straycats comments on being offered relatives XX yr old girls etc reminded me of a night I had in Khorat years ago.

Went up there with a good friend of mine around 50yrs old, I was 31 at the time. We were going up to meet one of his close penpals, a nice looking girl from Khorat. Well the whole family turned up, mother, all 3 daughters, and later on the father, a soldier in the thai army. Well dinner went along without much comment, some small talk and a chance for me to practise my Thai, being bombarded with questions from the 17 yr old daughter. (the one he was meeting was about 26 from memory). We finished dinner and moved onto karaoke, father excused himself, and it was just the 3 girls and their mother left with my mate and I. Well the 17yr old had decided I was a catch, and proceeded to play footsies with me under the table all night, constantly hinting when her mother wasnt looking at what she wanted! This took me by surprise, hadnt come across this before! ::

The family was well to do, mother owned a decent sized business in Khorat and had sent the kids to good schools, the 17yr olds english was quite impressive.

As far as I am concerned girls will be girls everywhere in the world, does this girl flirting with me and showing such strong desires make her a whore and her family a family of pimps?? methinks not.

6 months later we discovered a Dating site online that was based in Khorat and guess who was running it, the 26yr old and her new Husband! They were busy trying to hook up all the girls in Khorat with Foreign husbands. And the 17yr old was on page one!! LOL

Instead of whining about how the West sees Thailand, make an effort to educate people when you all go back home as to the real Thailand, doesnt cost us anything but time, and maybe a little frustration.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jingjoh,

"Instead of whining about how the West sees Thailand, make an effort to educate people when you all go back home as to the real Thailand, doesnt cost us anything but time, and maybe a little frustration. "

Whilst most will not hear what you are saying, I completely agree with this approach and use it where possible. Whether they listen is upto them and if not it is their loss....for me, I try to do what I can to help by "educating" people without slamming it down their throats....

SB.

"So are you saying the general populace of foriegn countries are generally meeting "women of the night"? Even though it is only a portion of what Thailand has to offer"

If you're talking of girls that foreigners get to play around with,be their meeting at night or during the afternoon,yes,it will mostly be pros.A girl who doesn't charge you for sex but that has no other significant professionnal occupation than hoping on a guy's generosity is a pro in my book.

How many foreigners do I see in Bankok with local girls I wouldn't be ashamed to walk along?Don't know exactly,but we're talking of a minority of the mixed couples.

Add than that while getting the hookers and the Pratunam clothes sellers we somehow manage to get the bad looking ones and you'll get this grim picture I face daily...

"As far as I am concerned girls will be girls everywhere in the world, does this girl flirting with me and showing such strong desires make her a whore and her family a family of pimps?? methinks not."

This girl came on to you,not her mother telling you she got a nice 17 y o kid she would be nice to have you play with or marry for a price.That doesn't make her family antything,and that's not in the line of events Straycat and myself were reporting.

Don't know if you had a go with her,hope it was nice in case you did.

cheers!

lf,

I get the same attitude whenever I mention that I have been to Thailand - whether its people in Spore, HK or China proper : its a stereotype thats hard to shake. I can see why GTG gets so passionate about the sex industry being a blot on Thailands good name.

As for Oz, you may as well just wear a shirt that says:

'I went all the way to Thailand, and all I got was this dumb shirt (and an STD)' .....

Says Straycat:

Never mind. Thailand has shit-poor reputation in Sweden and probably all over Scandivavia. --

[color:"blue"] Well, I do not know about that. At the Weekender in Samui/Lamai, there are alway many Scandinavian (Norwegian mostly) Families, and they sure enjoy the "good" vaccations in LOS
[/color]

You should look back a couple of hundreds/thousands years (?) in you home countries history to really find out what went wrong (or right, according to some). [color:"brown"] You have lost me here Straycat. What went wron 100/1000 years ago??
[/color]

Well, it's been an interesting thread with many good arguments. I really don't know where to jump in again, so I'll do some various quotes and comments :)

SanukBoot:

[color:"blue"]Jasmine, I really do hope you see want Straycat and myself are trying to say. It has nothing to do with *our* experiences or perceptions but the general populace of most western countries....[/color]

Exactly. We're talking about the repution of Thailand abroad, not my personal view on Thailand.

It was suggested by someone that Thailands reputation is the result of exaggerated media reports. I'm not so sure. Look at some of the major tourist spots in Thailand, as Patpong, Phuket, Koh Samui and, my favourite example, Pattaya. What kind of impression will these places give the average farang family on vacation?

About female family relatives 'on offer'. While I probably exaggerated my initial statement a wee bit, I'm sure many readers here have experienced the same. It certainly was a serious comment.

jingjoh:

[color:"blue"]Instead of whining about how the West sees Thailand, make an effort to educate people when you all go back home as to the real Thailand, doesnt cost us anything but time, and maybe a little frustration.[/color]

I agree. I can't help hearing a devil within in me saying though: What are we going to educate them about. That it actually is even more prostitution in Thailand than most Westerners can imagine? :devil:

To sum it up: Thailand has a reputation of being a country with many prostitutes. Is this reputation unfair?

Thailand has an enourmous sex industry, which in part operate in small scale (e.g. local karaoke joint, beer bar) and some at a very large scale (e.g. multi-billion baht entertainment complexes). Add to that the entertainment that is somewhere in never-never-land, i.e. you're not really sure if it's prostitution going on, as sing-a-song spots, malee-girls on display and dancers. This is also part of 'the real Thailand'.

Straycat

regarding pattaya specifically my expectation before coming there from lonely planet, western media, internet etc. was that it was all lady boys & gays!

but like always your view only changes when you really explore it for yourself. well for me it took severel trips before I finally appreciated the whole place...

:o

Archived