What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm not going to read through 11 pages of this thread so this may have been said already, also, what I'm about to say is not only Thai but an 'Asian' thing but is meant in no way to denegrate Asians. Whew! My disclaimers are all out of the way.

What bothers me is when clerks, etc. basically frontline people who deal with the public, do not apply logic to certain situations. Basically if it is out of the ordinary, etc. then its easier to say 'No' than to think it through.

Examples? You reserve a hotel room. You even have an email confirm that you bring with you. The front desk can not find your reservation and deny you a room. You furnish said confirm. You ask 'is this your e mail address that sent it?' they agree but THEIR computer or whatever doesn't have you listed so therefore YOU did not make the reservation. They will not concede that perhaps THEY made a mistake...maybe its the loss of face if they do.

I recall I had money wired to me via Western Union once. I am sometimes known by my middle name. My passport lists my First, Middle and surname. The money was sent with my Middle and Surname. I had all the information, the control number, exact amount, who sent it, their address, but the person kept saying 'name not same'. You try to explain that if you look at my passport it lists it in the middle i.e. The person became indignant. Now I didnt' raise my voice or anything, but it got to the point where it seemed like she would rather deny me the transaction than see the logic in what I was saying. I even had an email address from the person who sent it. NOTHING would sway the person.

Basically, if the ducks aren't all lined up in a row and doesn't fit into the perfect transaction or whatever, forget about it.

The only time it is successful is when dealing with people who have lived in or had been educated in the west. They learn differently than the rote memorization don't think for yourself that is all too common in the schooling of Asian societies.

Other than that I love the damn place!

I certainly can relate to the Western Union tale. They can be unbelievable stupid/picky in LOS. I used to send an old flame a few $$ through WU. I have a gold WU card, used them 100s of times. So the phonetic spelling of a Thai name can often vary in transliteration and be different than what is on the ID card, so despite ID, letters, passcodes etc it took 4 tries for her to collect the $$.

Should anyone have a similar problem with WU, call them and ask for an International supervisor. They can and do straighten things out in a hurry. Just hard getting to find out about them through the normal chain of command. :banghead:

Says jjsushi:

Songkran in Pattaya with inebriated or malicious farang who are violent in their celebration with the water guns and PVC pipes to the point they don't care if they harm someone. What bothers me even more is the Thais who mimc this viscious type of celebration when they know that it doesn't embody the spirit of Songkran.

Yes, but then even Thais behave differently.

A few years ago I was at a lake named "Thale Noi" on Songkran day. It was a very nice experience. I had a coffee on a road stall and enjoyed the scenery. I was spared of being flooded because of my drinking coffee. When I hit the road I got splashed and participated in the fun.

Later that afternoon I travelled to Had Yai and was unfortunate enough to take a tuk-tuk iso a taxi to my hotel. No consideration was given to my luggage on my nees. I had to run inside the lobby to get some protection and all my belongings were soaked. Moral: never travel on Songkran.

Btw, last year my waterbill in march was double from the usual bill. Something to do with the gf? ::

What really buggers me in LOS?

That huge strap-on dildo at Eden!

Just relax and tell the girls ot be gentle :neener:

That is where the expression came from "tis better to give than receive." :cussing:

Archived