What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

[color:"blue"]especially for the "sam low, taxis"for their good services.[/color]

Really!? In my (prolly warped) view of Thailand I thought these would be the last persons to receive a tip...especially for tuk-tuks since you have to settle the price with them beforehand? I'm a white person and by natural law, I have difficulties to settle for a decent price with the sam-lor drivers....but I've recently adopted a new approach. I propose a ridiculous low price for the destination and the driver usually suggest another price that is about half of what I expected :) In such case they may receive a bit extra from me ;)

Thais and tipping in general: Well, I think it certainly varies but it's not uncommon to see Thais tip generously person-to-person, so to speak, for good service.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Yes, I usually asked the price first and I gave him/her extra anyhow. Your situation can be different but you still give tips when an honesty is displayed, I notice.

It can be the Thai people I have been around too. Most of them do not use taxis but they do tip when they use ones.

Cheers!

[color:"red"] What really bugs me in Thailand is when you park your car on an empty stretch of road within minutes a couple of motorbikes, or sometimes cars, arrive and park as close as they possibly can to you, one at the back and one at the front thereby making sure it is impossible for you to move. Meanwhile the rest of the road remains deserted. I have even had them park right up against the doors so you cant open them.

[/color]

I am as confused as a goose about this. Have you asked why? ::

Jasmine

[color:"blue"]you still give tips when an honesty is displayed, I notice.[/color]

Yes, I do 'cause I want to encourage honesty.

However, I'm afraid my practice is futile -- perhaps the sam-lor driver now thinks he should've asked for a higher price from start since I obviously had some extra to spare? :: ::

All in all, though I find Thai's to be quite upfront and honest with the prices (tuk-tuks being the main exception). Yes, there are instances with over-pricing -- and it's annoying -- but in daily life I do not notice very much of it. Not out in the 'burbs of Bangkok where I live, at least.

Hi,

[color:"red"] when I leave a couple of inches space in a queue to get on a bus or skytrain and a thai pushes in front as though I am not there ? [/color]

The last time I was in Thailand and waited in a line at a post office, 2 guys came from no where and passed me, really pissed me off. I had words with them and they gave me surprised looks, saying that they were civil servants and did not have time to wait. I blew my tops then, and the postal worker decided to help me first.

I cannot tell you why the Thais have never learned to wait in line! :banghead:

Cheers1

I think the heat can be generally accepted as the main reason why people walk slow in Thailand, however, there are situations where heat would not be attributed to slow walking... 2 situations that come to mind are:

Attempting to call friend on mobile

Attempting to find mobile phone

SB.

Hi,

[color:"red"] However, I'm afraid my practice is futile -- perhaps the sam-lor driver now thinks he should've asked for a higher price from start since I obviously had some extra to spare? [/color]

Now that is a Thai thinking. My mother does not like me to give tips period for she thinks like above. I really don't know the answer to this, there are many people will think so.

However, I have met many taxis who do appreciate it. The last time when hubby and I were in Bangkok (2000), we found many people honest. However, we did not hang around tourists areas much either.

Cheers!

[i cannot tell you why the Thais have never learned to wait in line! ]

Hi Jasmine,

I've seen a good improvement in Samui recently at the banks and the post offices.

The banks now installed the system where you have to get a number and your being served when your number is up and in the post offices there are signs now telling people to line up (how the hell do you spell queu or qeue?).

Makes live in these places a lot more convenient.

Cheers,

Limbo

Archived