What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

"why do they spend 20 minutes at an atm machine when it takes me 1 minute to get cash out ?"

Last November I spent at least 20 minutes in the heat waiting for a young farang (looked like a Khao San Backpacker) trying to work the enclosed ATM in front of the Landmark Hotel. Even the Thais in line behind me were getting exasperated as we stood out in the heat while he would alternately fumble with his card, punch some numbers, then stare for long periods at the machine while nothing happened. Needless to say, he exited the ATM booth without any baht and ignored the scowls he received from the line of at least 6 people.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Falang,

that's indeed sad but true. If you visit a different country, behave yourselves!!

Also the notes on traffic and driving abilities are sound points.

Being the one who opened this thread, thanks for the points sofar, I hope it let you release some steam :rolleyes:

On the same token, please keep the remarks coming, with many I can absolutely identify and most are things I experencied as well.

It surely makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who's having these observations.

And for Eden, bugger on!!! :hubba:

Limbo

I woud say:

Slowness of walking by most Thai people....As someone mentioned previously in this thread I now walk on the road where possible

At certain times face does rear its ugly head up

Traffic and driving skills

Thai male golfers! Especially the important guys who think they own the course, show NO etiquette have a bowl of noodles every 3 holes, have half a dozen caddies with them to cater for their every whim and turn a 4 and a half hour round into 6 !!!!!!

Obviously these are generalizations......

SB.

Says shotover:

"why do they spend 20 minutes at an atm machine when it takes me 1 minute to get cash out ?"

Last November I spent at least 20 minutes in the heat waiting for a young farang (looked like a Khao San Backpacker) trying to work the enclosed ATM in front of the Landmark Hotel. Even the Thais in line behind me were getting exasperated as we stood out in the heat while he would alternately fumble with his card, punch some numbers, then stare for long periods at the machine while nothing happened. Needless to say, he exited the ATM booth without any baht and ignored the scowls he received from the line of at least 6 people.

In those situations I just step in and help the poor guy! He's grateful and you get your money quicker too.

Where did I call you stupid?? Reread it...

<<Maybe you are only seeing your GF tip therefore all Thais tip?? sounds stupid doesnt it, yet thats exactly how it reads. >>

What it says is your post sounds like you are claiming all Thais tip because of what you have seen. Reality is they dont, some do, some dont, I have seen more of the later, as have most of my friends when asked. I asked a Thai friend last night and he concurred, Thais will tip a little at certain places like bars etc, but for food its rare.

As I would never want to live in the sordid world down there I can concur as to the joy of having my world up here ::

What it says is your post sounds like you are claiming all Thais tip because of what you have seen. Reality is they dont, some do, some dont

-------------------------------

then we have no reason to quibble since my post started :it is quite up to the person.

I do not think I meant it sound like all thai tips, but as usual, I have cringed from the idea that all thais behave a certain way, preferring to spaek about little experiences that prove it is indeed not a rule written in marble. Nothing really is here, as you know. Cordially

Hi,

[color:"red"] Slowness of walking by most Thai people....As someone mentioned previously in this thread I now walk on the road where possible [/color]

It is the heat. I don't find that the Americans in the South in summers walk any faster than the Thais.

I remain that people are basically the same.

Jasmine :D

Hi,

[color:"red"] What it says is your post sounds like you are claiming all Thais tip because of what you have seen. Reality is they dont, some do, some dont, I have seen more of the later, as have most of my friends when asked. I asked a Thai friend last night and he concurred, Thais will tip a little at certain places like bars etc, but for food its rare. [/color]

I concur with you that not all Thais tip. However, it is encouraged for many people now, especially for the "sam low, taxis"for their good services.

Myself, I don't see anything wrong with it, it si good to show appreciation for the services.

One time in Chiangmai, after a good dinner, we tipped around 25%, the waiter tried to return it because the service charge was already included. I was touched for the honesty.

Cheers! ::

Archived