What really buggers you in LOS?

limbo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jasmine,

Perhaps you can clarify something for me. I have had two instances in which someone has blatantly cut in front of me on line. In each instance I said something to the person who cut in front of me. As I recall, on one of the occasions I said, "what are you doing?, "why do you think I was standing here?".

On both occasions the reactions to me was that I had acted inappropriately. It seemed as if confronting the person who cut in front of me was a much more inappropriate act than the act of cutting in front of me.

So, my question is, how is one expected to act when someone cuts in front of you, assuming you object to this behavior?

Obviously you confronted the two who cut in front of you at the post office and the postal worker took you next. But, was your action, like mine, a socially acceptable response? If not, what is the socially accepted response?

Thanks for any insight you are able to provide.

Hi,

[color:"red"] So, my question is, how is one expected to act when someone cuts in front of you, assuming you object to this behavior?

Obviously you confronted the two who cut in front of you at the post office and the postal worker took you next. But, was your action, like mine, a socially acceptable response? If not, what is the socially accepted response?

[/color]

This is difficualt to answer. I do not think that the Thais welcome the critique and the "face" concept is involved. I used the femininity, age and a sense of humor to make sure that the 2 guys were not losing face.

I have been cut in front on a line before in the USA and I also used the sense of humor to correct the situation. Unless you can use a way to communicate to prevent them from losing face, I would not confront them for some Thais are hot-headed and may carry weapons. Coming from a foreigner may just set some Thais off.

I worked around DC area, and the traffic is simply horrible and we learn not to confront face-to-face if some one's driving offend us, there was a case of a career woman in her 30s who shot and killed a person becuase the he cut her off in traffic!!! She is in jail now and her 2 young kids must go without a mother for the next 10-15 yrs.

My brother also told me to be careful who you confront in Thailand.

Be careful, :)

Jasmine

Gah. Thais don't have any concept of courtesy when it comes to the general public who will never see them again. Watch how they stand right in front of the doors and won't let people get off first. BTS, train, bus, elevator, etc... If escalators weren't one way, they'd do it there as well. Walking on a crowded streets of Thais is a pain too as they have no concept of personal space.

After having said that about Thais, chinese are just as bad. Worse in some cases.

Cutting the queue... Thais are generally a laid back non-confrontational society. Many will assume that the person cutting must not have any time. Many will be upset but not say anything, Many just don't give a damn. Who knows what the other Many that I left out think. In any event, say politely that you are in a hurry as well and would appreciate it if they could wait their turn. I find that this works well (if they speak English). Works well even if they don't as they know what I'm talking about and the manner I am saying my words is not off-putting. Course, then there are the times where I just cough and eye them crazily when they look back at me (I really do that sometimes!!!)

<<burp>>

Thanks for taking the time write your thoughtful response.

In my 2nd experience with someone cutting in front of me, a man in his 30's I would guess, I make the remark that I mentioned, "what are you doing?, "why do you think I was standing here?". Well he was furious. He put his finger in front of my face and spoke rapidly and was red in the face.

Fortunately, I was became guarded at this point thinking that this guy was liable to do anything and I could end up with a knife in my stomache. Eventually, we went our separate ways.

But, the situation I was in could have turned out worse and I will definitely try to avoid this in the future, as you suggest.

I used to work in IT for Mobil Corporation and when Mobil moved to Fairfax, many of my friends who went with Mobil told me about the terrible traffic around DC. Also, for years I commuted 3 hours a day from New Jersey to New York City. So, I know how frustrating it can be to deal with great difficulty in getting to and from work.

Too bad about that woman that lost it!

Myself, I generally cut right back in front of the offender. I remember one time, though, when I was standing in a long line in a 7-Eleven store. All of us (and I was the only farang) were actually standing in an orderly line, taking our turns. When I was just a couple of people away from the counter, and with many people standing behind me, some guy brings a couple of items right up to the counter to cut in! I clapped my hand on his shoulder and kindly, but firmly, informed him of the exact location of the end of the line. He grinned sheepishly and took up his proper position.

Hi,

I have traveled to India and I found many Indians then, did not have much on curtesy, I hate in-your-face approach.

This leads me to share an incident happened at the Airport Hotel at the check-out time early in the morning because my flight was leaving at 8:00 AM. We lined up nicely to wait for our turn, a group of either midle eastern/Indian men just braged right past us to the counter. The best thing happed, the lady who checked out people just told them in-not-very-freindly tone to get back behind us in the line. They said they were in a hurry, so some of us said, did they thing we were not? Oh, they said they got up late, we went "so??? " I commented nicely to the lady that she was great!!!

I read an article somewhere that they way the Thais are not very courteous because it is the "mai pen rai" attitude. I disagree, but I cannot put my thumb on exactly why. :banghead:

Cheers!

Archived