Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

C Blue: You are dead wrong, especially if it is true that some of those bars were farang-owned. Sanctimonious opinions along the lines of farangs here should have no right to complain and hope for a basic level of human decency do not sit well with many of us in here, I'll clue you in.

Thus far, the international coverage seems limited to East Asia and Australia. Perhaps it will spread, but unfortunately it has the potential to come across as merely one of those "Weird News" items.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi showtime,

Most of the people affected by this were Thais - workers and the business owners. While bar owners may not receive much sympathy from the politically correct, the beauty salon, laundry or travel agent owners will. I would guess that all the non-bar businesses here were Thai owned.

Maybe we, and those responsible, have missed the point that the victims here are not farang bar goers that nobody in power cares about, but Thai people who do count politically.

That is why Thaksin visited the site.

That is why it had so much press coverage.

That is why it is on the talk shows.

Khwai

I think that Thaksin visited only because he sniffed the possibility of international coverage in the air. How many slums does he visit that have been burned down and the residents forced out? If word of this could have been contained inside Thailand, he might not have paid much attention.

Siam Sam,

Do you really care about some very small isolated landlord-tenant dispute in Russia or even in your home country? Tell me why international people and press would even be interested in reading an irrelevlant story. How does it affect them and why would an international news company cover it? How many lives or limbs were lost? Does it involve sex? If anything, many news stories are covered for weirdness or even humorous reading if it would sell copies. Look at it from their eyes not from because you knew this person or that person or it contained your favorite watering hole.

Other than a smalll number of people directly affected and their customers who have a passing interest, not many mainstream Thai people or foreigners will be too shook up about it. They have their own problems to worry about and life goes on.

Hopefully, the renters will get their say in court, but i would even be dubious about that. If there is any compensation, I would bet it would not be dealt in a fair and equitable distribution. We are probably talking about receiving peanuts of what they should be receiving.

But remember "life is unfair".........and procede from there. That way you won't come too unglued and a little more even keel in your approach and tactics.....

Cardinalblue

"Thus far, the international coverage seems limited to East Asia and Australia. Perhaps it will spread, but unfortunately it has the potential to come across as merely one of those "Weird News" items. "

There was a piece in the Norwegian newspaper VG today with pics of a Nor/Thai couple who lost 2 bars. It also said there had been some speculation in Thai media that a row between ministers in the government could have something to do with it (??). There was also pic of the site.

Cheers!

Says cardinalblue:

Siam Sam,

. If there is any compensation, I would bet it would not be dealt in a fair and equitable distribution. We are probably talking about receiving peanuts of what they should be receiving.

Cardinalblue

Exactly right.... they sure won't be getting back 2.5 times earnings. It will be more like "You bought a table. Table cost 700 baht. Table used, only 300 baht. Table now in garbage. worth only zero baht. Mai Pen Rai we give you 200 baht" No formula being used on how much that table made in profit for the business owner.

They must of thought it was smart business. Pay 6 million baht for all the companies rather than 60 million Baht. ::

Hi cardinalblue,

You are right. This is not going to hit the cover of Time, or Newsweek, although it may get a 'blip' in Wall Street Journal, if a piece is done on investments in Thailand.

I also see Siam Sams outlook.

Two large city blocks were effectively vaporized, in a city of 8-10 million, in 2 hours, by 500 militia/security people. Two city blocks raised, by itself, is not a big deal. But when it's done in the manor in which it was, without any warning, or due process, at 4:00 a.m. in the morning, with obvious months of planning, giving people minutes to evacuate or risk certain death,.. it is a big deal. Whether by an act of nature, or a crazed landlord, or a terrorist act, or any other means.

The nature, and complexsion of this act, is what has people shocked. It was outrageous. And needs to be labled as such. Without doing so, means we have been reduced to nothing more than robots, accepting whatever is thrown at any of us.

Saying this, I also see your side of letting an emerging country take care of their own internal problems, and not sticking our hi-so noses into it.

It all becomes very complicated, and we all will have our own views. The view from a board member here, who lives down the street from soi 10, who personally knows many of the people affected, will obviously be much more outraged, than the newbie in N.Y.C, with only one visit under their belt, who will be asking, "what does this mean for me? Can I still Sanuk if I come?" It all comes down to a matter of hitting some people 'where they live", and others viewing from a great distance, as far as perspectives relate. I hope we can keep this fact in mind, as this thread continues.

I thought your comment about no one dying, was very pertinent. And got me thinking that might have been the reason for having such an exstreme presence (500 raiders???). I'm thinking they were accutely aware that if any deaths occured, it would bring additional attention, so I imagine them to have been very thorough to this attention to detail. The fact that the BTS runs through this area, could not have been lost on purps. This was going to be an "in your face" operation from the beginning, with many 1,000's seeing the destruction every single day.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that although our slants on what happened may vary, none of us yet, knows the real true story. It's very natural that we all look at the soi 10 situation, from our own personal veiwing point. I would hope everyone here can be sensitive of this fact, and will post accordingly (not at all directed to cardinalblue...he just happened to make last post).

HT

Obviously, it must be cloudy on HI today. That post was FAR too sane to have come from a man who spent the day with the sun on his head. :neener:

Seriously, thank you.

I suspect that you have managed, once again, to express that which many of us feel. :hug:

Cardinalblue,

and if the Soi 10 - desaster would make the front pages of all papers in the world, the final output would always be " 500 bars demolished " and nobody interested . " Seagate facilities in Udon Something raided " would sound a lot more impressive to the business community. Or if a certain Prime Minister pushes a national orchid-airline into increasing traffic on routes where there is no revenue already now.

Does anybody know if this new hotel will be guest-friendly?

Rgds

Bbill

Archived