Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

Says nukeboy180:

.... seems to have driven coverage of the Soi 10 debacle completely into the background. Not a single mention on The Nation's website today and just a small backgrounder on The Bangkok Post's site.

yeah, but that was an interesting one. the guy behind the company that owns the land at suk soi 10 is the major shareholder of the Davies group, which runs Honolulu, Emanuelle and Victoria's Secrete Massage Parlours and a new hotel on suk soi 24 (opposite president park)

so what will we see on soi 10 in future: a MP or another hotel?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maxie,

The soi 10 affected only a few people (people unfotuantely not in prestigious or power positions) in a major way. The rest really don't care. Just not an international newsworthy story, that's all.

I am trying to be objective; you are maybe too close to the situation in some personal way? Maybe you can open up a justice defense fund for the people who need the help. I would recommend a cool million baht for starters from your piggy bank...Maybe a grass roots campaign under your direction?

We will see how much altruistic behavior or more importantly if you accomplish any results. Hope you do.....

You sound like a "small" man who always blame the system or people in power. I wonder if you have ever been in any high position of noteworthiness.. Your writing stlye says otherwise...the hard working type who is always bitching about people above you because you are always looking up. Never having the vision, ingenuity or financial intelligence to put oneself in a leadership position to bring about profound change or run the show.......

Keep us posted as to your accomplishments.....

Cardinalblue

If this was the work of some 'agents provocateurs' then please explain to me why the Cambodian government, i.e. police force etc. did not react quickly to avoid damage?

---

For the exact same reason that the Thai government, i.e police force, did not react quickly to avoid damage to the properties at Soi 10. Simply because it was not in the script.

Also, it really is difficult to maintain control of a mob of a few thousand intent on action of any sort when all you have to work with are a disinterested police force, a conscript army and all the other blunt tools of a debt-ridden police state. A professional western police force with proper training, specialized weapons and sophisticated command and control can about manage such a scenario. A Mango Republic cannot without massive casualties and the risk of general insurrection.

As long as the targets were few and selective and threatened no Cambodian ruling-class interests, they really couldn't be bothered. They've simply chosen which side of the Thai power struggle they want to be allied with and took a little collateral damage as a show of good faith. This incident will not have staying power and business will continue to get done where we cannot see, rest assured.

"so what will we see on soi 10 in future: a MP or another hotel?"

Good info. I wondered which MP this army general was said to own.

BTW, I spoke on the phone earlier today to a Soi 10 bar owner, and was told:

<<She is expecting payment of over 1 million baht compensation within the next 2 weeks;>>

<<The land owner no longer plans to build a hotel there.>>

<<The owners told her she would have the option to reopen a bar in the Soi 10 area after 6 months.>>

I asked her about the 'entertainment zoning areas' limiting bars to the Patpong, New Petchaburi, and Rachadapisek areas, and she replied "Yes, I hear that, but not know what they do." ::

She has been to the Soi 10 site and Lumpini Police station every day since Monday, and completed much paperwork.

Personally, I would be surprised if she got a substantial amount of money reimbursed within 2 weeks, or that there were plans to rebuild bars on this land, but that's what she said. Hopeful thinking, maybe?

In the Nation newsarticle today: A Thai police commander stated "Based on testimony received from property owners so far, the damage has been estimated at about Bt83 million. He expected the total damage would exceed Bt100 million."

Sounds like they're serious about making those responsible pay for damages, but TIT.

Says nukeboy180:

. This whole operation was as close to a masterstroke as Southeast Asia is likely to see for some time. Brilliant stuff.

Most of the Soi 10 dupes will be out of the clink before the weekend is over.

Hi nuke,

Fascinating idea - and you may be right.

Personally, I suscribe to the cock-up theory of history rather than the conspiracy theory.

I think the Soi 10 affair was a big miscalculation by those responsible and the Cambodian problems are not connected. The Cambodian issue is just too big a deal to be merely a diversion to get away with demolishing Soi 10. Cambodia is set for some real suffering if transport, investment, and aid is all cut off for any length of time.

Look at the money invloved - Soi ten is measured in tens or maybe hudreds of million baht - Cambodian disruption will be well into the billions.

Just my two cents worth.

Khwai

KS,

I will apologize to you only. I won't respond to Max again. Matter closed.

But please look at his previous postings. Since he initiated it in his post to jjsushi, i would interpret his remarks directed at me as quite insulting purely based on speculation and conjure.

My post was strictly a reactionary post based on his accusatory tone and unfounded remarks. Please note i did phrase much of it in questions and suggestions giving him the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to engage in constructive dialogue. I just wanted to see if he was just another talker or a person of action.

Have a pleasant day. I hope the good weather last through February.......

Cardinalblue

Stonesoup,

Disrespect towards the royal family i doubt would apply equally towards the perpetrators by thai society.

Does not Thai people represent your own son and cambodian people represent the little bad neighborbood boy down the street? I think it is obvious who is given a slap on the wrist and who suffers the wrath of the people.....

Cardinalblue

Archived