This board running slow?

Palatkik

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me for intruding into administrative areas but I have a suggestion that may help you conserve some bandwith. I qualify this by saying that it seems that the browser is rechecking all images served each time a page is loaded. This is inefficient but there is a remedy for Apache servers that I know.

Ask your server adminstrator to enable mod_expires in the .htconf file and restart the server. mod_expires is part of the the standard Apache distribution, quite safe, and you need only decomment two lines.

Once done, you may place into the .htaccess file in your image directories the required directives so that incidental images are not rechecked on each page turn. For items such as your "Graemlins" and navigation tabs, the directives from the .htaccess file will be read once by the browser and it will not need to recheck them until the timestamp associated with each object expires (or the user flushes his browser cache).

While this rechecking (more precisely an HTTP HEAD request) typically consumes only 200 bytes per object, I am counting 68 icons and graemlins on this page alone. This equates to a waste of 13Kb rechecking images that were already in my cache from my earlier posts this evening and will be repeated on each subsequent load of the post/reply page.

You can extend this calculation and posit 200 users making 10 posts per day which would result in nearly .8GB of wasted traffic per month just to create 304's in your access logs. And this is only from post and reply pages; the savings should be significantly higher once backgrounds and banners from all pages are included. Server response times should increase from the reduced number of requests.

Full details on the proper implementation of mod_expires by .htaccess can be found in http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_expires.html

Again, please excuse the intrusion into operational matters.

Have been experiencing the same slowness too.

Just looking at the progress bar on the browser, it seems to hernia on the initial banner-loading (Thailand host) but then loads the board reasonably ok, but would have no real idea if that is the cause or not!

(Thailand transmits it's data down the Information Superhighway constructed of long bits of wet noodles as the links to the outside world :grinyes:)

This morning, (Sunday) Bangkok time the server seems to be back to normal speed so knocking on wood/head att. It seems to have been bad since the crash; rather than the worm. It would load one or two times ok but then would hang forever getting data base information. Hope it continues as good as it is now.

Archived