Changes - Lower Sukhumvit

StoneSoup

For those who keep track of the "State of the Neighborhood", I thought I'd just take note a few of the recent (and pending) face-lifts in my local stomping grounds.

First, in the space formerly occupied by Korean Lee's, across the street from Jools, and occupying a prime corner spot on the Rajah Hotel parking lot, a new tenant has arrived ......none other than.......a small pocket-sized 7-11. Surprising to see that particular outcome!

For a brief couple of weeks, there was a two-story Mediterranean Restaurant occupying a stretch of Soi 4 frontage, on the Nana Hotel side of the street, between the Golden Ber Bar and the Bus Stop. Well, that "upscale" restuarant, tablecloths and all, has taken a hike. The place is now.......Charming Bar II, with upstairs pool lounge (so say the signs). I'll give it a look this week. Charming Bar remains on the opposite side of the street - well-known for being one of the the earliest-opening, air-conditioned beer bars on the street.

Moving to Soi 7, a new bedsheet-type sign went up over the last few days, across the street from the Soi 7 food court. With questionable spelling, it proclaims that the little orange "gay boy" bar that was curiously operating at that spot will soon reopen as the "Winking Frog" English-style pub. 'Seems to make better sense that a gay bar at that spot.

Work continues on construction of the "Blue Wave Entertainment" structure on Sukhumvit, adjacent to the J.W. Marriott Hotel,on the Soi 4 side of the Hotel. Sister bar to the New Wave pool bar on Soi 7, this place will still take a few more months to complete.

It is somewhat amazing to seethe workers adding levels to the long-derelict, skeleton high-rise that occupied the corner at "Tobacco Road", next to the train tracks, overlooking Soi Zero. Conventional wisdom has always stated that after five years+ of weathering, skeletal buildings were not suitable for continuation. I'm not sure what sort of occupants this high-rise is intended for, but I can't imagine too many locals lining up to occupy a "'97 crash skeleton" (pun intentional).

With the new Jay Mart added next to the KFC/ Pizza Hut that now occupy the place next to Krung Thai Bank HQ (between Sois 1 and 3), the north side of Sukhumvit is now pretty well filled in.

There is still a sign up at the big empty lot - "mangy dog square" - that borders Soi 6, stating that a new building for retail shops will open at that spot about a year hence. But no signs of anything actually happening.

Inside NEP, rennovation work continues 'round the clock on whatever Three Roses Bar is about to be transformed into. Given the steep selling price, I would have thought that keeping the historical Three Roses name, as one of the original handful of bars that moved in, might be a significant part of the "goodwill" that was purchased. But neighbors of the bar suggest that it will be rechristened.

Vixens/Rock Hard remains vacant, much to the delight of the welcoime girls from Silver Dragon and Mandarin bars, who literally engulf visitors as they reach the top of the escalator on the south side of the plaza. 'Sort of reminds me of the shows at the crocodile farms, where they throw a dead goat/dog/sheep/something-or-other to the waiting crocs, and pandemonium breaks out as the reptiles compete for their piece of the action.

Well that's about it in my neighborhood. What's new in yours?

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says StoneSoup:

'Sort of reminds me of the shows at the crocodile farms, where they throw a dead goat/dog/sheep/something-or-other to the waiting crocs, and pandemonium breaks out as the reptiles compete for their piece of the action.

you feel like a dead goat when you walk into Nana? did the girls bite you?

That was great StoneSoup. :hug:

Hope you will make the

"State of the Neighborhood"
a regular happening.

Especially appreciated by those of us away from our "home, away from home."

Well that's about it in my neighborhood. What's new in yours?

Well it quit snowing today, and it warmed up to a balmy -5 C,

continuing cutbacks in ......... :banghead: :banghead:

Just to add a bit more info to the my neighborhood update, the mai pen lai / never say die / theres a space I can make money from it attittude is alive and well.

On the way to Cowboy from the Nanapong dance last night I noticed that outside the concrete barriers enclising Sukhimwit Plaza there were the startings of some street cafes ( trolley, plastic tables and chairs ) staffed by some of the ex bgs ! 60b a beer etc

How long will they last I wonder?

I'm sure that SS and others can post about it more reliably, but I heard it's a new hotel owned by the Sub- Continental gentlemen already in the area. They couldn't make a deal for the 6 lots between Annies and their other operations (old Thai lady say F-U ****boys) so this will have to do for now.

What you hear SS ? :dunno:

It's old info but anyways you guys might agree. Those little newly built pattaya style bars in that narrow soi between soi 7 and soi 5 just suck. No ventilation was considered during construction, and as a result the stench... one can almost pass out sitting there :rolleyes:

Have never seen any farang drinking in this soi (between 5 and 7). I always thought it was just a refueling stop for hookers and their motocycle taxi boyfriends. The food looks disgusting and those naff karaoke "rooms" have as much space as the old UK phone boxes.

Has anyone actually stopped for a drink in here ??

Archived