Changes - Lower Sukhumvit

StoneSoup

Says StoneSoup:

Charming Bar remains on the opposite side of the street - well-known for being one of the the earliest-opening, air-conditioned beer bars on the street.

With questionable spelling, it proclaims that the little orange "gay boy" bar that was curiously operating at that spot will soon reopen as the "Winking Frog" English-style pub. 'Seems to make better sense that a gay bar at that spot.

ell that's about it in my neighborhood. What's new in yours?

Stone Soup

Charming bar. Watched that place for many hours from Golden. There is a pair of beautiful girls that fawn over each other out front. It sure enticed me over, but got the handoff to a less desirable girl. Fun none the less. Was going to go back and try again, but well, didn't.

That gay gar aways confused me. Why there? Did look nice from the outside. Anyone ever go in? Even if you have to claim accidentally?

Im my neighborhood Monica at Adalitas bar put on 15 pounds over the holidays and the border wait from TJ is down to 5 minutes when walking across on weeday evenings.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit that it's doable. I'd argue a bit about your average time per game. While I think your game stats are correct for the three busy tables (that is the one nearest the food court, and the other two closest to the bar, the other three tables have signficantly less experienced players. Those games will take longer and will bring down your average significantly.

The time I played yesterday was between 5:30 and 6:30 or so. I was waiting to play by the table nearest the entrance, but was invited to play at another table as no one else was playing. I played on that table for an hour despite losing because there wasn't enough players. Other tables were not in use at time. Granted it was a Monday.

As for the hit rate, knew that was a case of definitions and semantics, though 35% is still pretty incredible, even if it's only a couple thousand baht. Wonder what the % drop is in revenues from beer bars and gogos between high season and low season. Things to make you go Hmmmmmm

<<burp>>

Visited the Charming Bar II Monday night. Downstairs is a fairly typical shop-house bar - appropriately dim lighting, unremarkable.

Upstairs are two coin-operated pool tables - I think 7 footers. I chuckled - when Charming took over the Mediterranean Restaurant, they just moved out most of the tables upstairs and inserted the pool tables - but changed nothing else. Lighting is fairly bright, and the walls are covered with travel-poster sized photos of Italian and Greek tourist spots.

There were a few low-key, moderately attractive ladies present, but there appeared to be no "punters on the prowl" for them to nuzzle up to. I was with my gf, who happily reunited with one girl their who was most recently working at Soi 10.

There's a kitchen upstairs, next to the pool room, but no toilet - you have to go downstairs for that.

Which brings me to the one big downer at this venue. The stairway in this place is narrow, steep, and tiled, and does a 90 degree turn near the bottom. My gf immediately noted - "Tilac, you no come here you mau - you mau, you hurt yourself". Not a stairway for wobbly drunks.

We then headed over to New Wave at Soi 7, which - from 9:30 pm onward - was packed out to the gills. I played only two games - but neither lasted even five minutes (and I lost both).

"I was in a bar the other night, hopping from barstool to barstool, trying to get lucky..... but there wasn't any gum under any of them" - Emo Phillips

Stone Soup

Says StoneSoup:

Well that's about it in my neighborhood. What's new in yours?

Hi SS,

Not much that I've noticed new in Soi 33, but in Soi 31, "Aise" has changed it's name and style. It is now called "Loop" and I called in a while ago and didn't like it. This was very early though, so what it is like later I don't know.

A new discovery for me a few weeks ago was a place called DV8 well down Soi 31, taking the Aise branch, Apparently not a gay bar (a non-gay friend had recommended it so I never thought it was), it seems like an upmarket bar/restaurant that I found very pleasant. A bit off the beaten track though.

Khwai

The Gay Bar was our listing. Great location but it was hard to get someone involved in acquiring it. Noone wanted to go inside :-)

The new owner is a British Chap and a nice guy. Was a experience bar mgr in London. He'll be sure to make a good go at making this location a success as a British Pub.

"That gay gar aways confused me. Why there? Did look nice from the outside. Anyone ever go in? Even if you have to claim accidentally?"

I'll regret admitting this, but here goes. A BG dragged me in the "Something Orange" karaoke bar on Suk Soi 7 last May just after it opened. The first thing I notice when we walk in are several nice-looking youngish Thai guys, and I thought this must be one of these bars where the girls pay the boys to sing (and probably do other things) with them.

This was a long narrow bar with cheap furnishings. The BG and I took a seat on one of the 3 couches in the back room. One of the nice Thai guys brought her a book listing songs, and she proceeded to order drinks and 3 songs.

She had just started singing the first song (while I feigning interest though bored to tears) when 2 middle-aged Thai men come in, sit on the sofas across from us, and order some drinks. They are soon joined by 4 of the young staff guys, and proceed to feel them up while giggling and drinking.

I was in Hell!

When BG finished singing her last song, I promptly paid check-bin and hurried outta there. I scolded her for taking me to this joint, and she claimed she never noticed the shenanagins happening on the sofas just 6 feet across from us.

I still scold her to this day for taking me to this place.

Archived