Cultural Revelation on Sukhumvit

jitagawn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limbo,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my rather naive question.

I can definitely understand how being referred to as an "it" in a face-to-face situation can be construed as an intended insult. Especialy, if accompanied by a curling sneer of the upper lip. At which point I too would be less than pleased. :onfire:

Searcher

What hurts, is not that you lied to me, but that I can no longer trust you.

Says MaiLuk:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

I'd say it is more like 'cheeky' or 'naughty'

I'm glad I did not get angry with the bartender :D

It's a bit stronger than that. Rop-guan can be translated as 'annoying'. Guan-dteen, from what I can remember, translates literally into something odd like 'stirring with feet' and is more along the lines of something extremely annoying. Not really polite except if you're friends teasing each other.

Cheers!

KS - As you've clarified your post I'm definitely with you on the "mun" thing. Thais only use this when referring to animals and such. A precursor to violence in some instances, I believe, but not all. My SO once used "mun" in conversation with me, but said so evenly, without missing a beat. Not intended to offend, and probably wouldn't understand how it makes one feel, but said nonetheless.

"Mun" sounds like "Attila the...", but when you hear "handsum mun", Thais are using the word in an English sense. Their tongue simply doesn't let them say "man" as in "hand", so it comes out sounding like the Thai derogatory word.

As I said before, you won't get much sympathy or understanding from Thais about this; deal with it. All foreigners are labelled once they put themselves in the midst of the indiginous population.

LOL, American homies NEVER say "mon" except when we're tired of saying "man" the normal way. Or when we're listening to reggae...Ja mon...........Yo mon.......... :neener:

Hi,

Now I understand the meaning of "mun" which means "it".

Wanted to mention though, that, many of my closed freinds called each other that way, no harm, just from closeness. My mother uses it calling her grand-children most of the time and she calls most children by that "mun".

However, it is impolite to use it of strangers. Many use it for "farangs" and many other foriengners and many times, it means to insult or look down.

Many members on this board know Thai and if ones listen to Thai conversation, that "mun" can come in many context and many times, no insult is intended.

Cheers!

Archived