Sukhumvit Soi 5 - new bar

MadStockBroker

Gullivers - a huge new bar/pub/restaurant/freelancer hang-out is being built on Soi 5, past foodland opposit the little "middle east" soi.

It is due to open tomorrow (Friday 14th) and last night had literally hundereds of workers were all over it. If they work over night they might get it ready on time.

There is a Gullivers in Koa Sarn road which apparently is a big freelancer pick up place although i have not been there myself. This new one is a large purpose built building and looks very smart with palm trees, fountains etc at the front. Not sure about the location but hopefully it will be a welcome addition to this rather low end part of Suk nightlife.

I was with Stickman who naturally took several photos and will put one in his weekly.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soi 7 is The Winking Frog. Have sign up but inside still gutted so expect a few weeks yet.

I just walked past Gullivers on Soi 5 - still covered in workers racing to get it open tomorrow. I went inside and it is easily the biggest bar in this area. I saw about 8 pool tables going in, and they just took up one corner. Seems to have some sort of beer garden in the back and outside bar beer on the front, and a fountain !

From the looks of it quite a bit of money has been spent.

Cool. Will check it out sometime. I've been to the Gulliver's on Khao San Road, and there weren't too many freelancers around, at least not when I was there. Usually just packed with backpackers. The few freelancers inside were ones who cater to the backpacker crowd...'Nuff said.

Says Siam Sam:

Cool. Will check it out sometime. I've been to the Gulliver's on Khao San Road, and there weren't too many freelancers around, at least not when I was there. Usually just packed with backpackers. The few freelancers inside were ones who cater to the backpacker crowd...'Nuff said.

Hello SS and others.

I've never been to Khao San Road, and from all I've heard, probably will never visit unless everything up and down Sukhumvit gets "Soi 10ed".

:cussing: :cussing:

I am curious, though, what you mean about freelancers "who cater to the backpacker crowd." What characteristics would distinguish such a FL from the type we encounter at BG7 or Thermae?

My gf and I visited this new venue opening night - about four hours after they opened.

This is a BIG place. Nothing like it in lower Sukhumvit. Closest venue of this magnitude is Coloseum Brew Arena on Sukhumvit, near Thongler BTS Station (or maybe Tawandaeng at Rama III road).

Located about 150 meters past Foodland Soi 5, on opposite side. Big garden patio with fountain. Inside is cavernous, with two levels - construction guys were still completing the upstairs dining area when we were there.

Nine pool tables (coin-op, all eight footers, I think) - arranged in two groups. Atrium in middle ofcomplex. The signature decoration inside Gullivers is a gleaming red and white '56 or so car (I forgot to ID it), rotating on a big pillar.

They appear to have an advanced sound system, and the decor suggested that they plan to feature live bands.

This appeared to be a really nice place - but the location is really risky - it's just too far from any similar venue, and not on a well-travelled throughfare.

Staff was enthusiastic, but four hours in, they still didn't have any rythem. Our first round of drinks didn't reach us until we had completed two games of pool.

I saw a couple ladies working there who I knew (they used to work at The Living Room bar on Sukhumvit), and I recognized one Thai customer, and also John and Irena (owners of the Bamboo Bar on Soi 3) stopoing in to say hello to the new management - other than these five individuals, I did not recognize a soul in the place (out of maybe 200 people present). This struck me as strange - I can normally walk into almost anywhere in lower Sukhumvit, and I usually recognize at least the faces of 10-20% of the crowd - customers and employees.

I did chuckle when I saw a gaggle of Arab men - in shorts, palin white T-shirts, sandals - and looking somewhat scruffy - wandered through, sizing up this "Infidel" palace that had descended onto "their" turf. No one in this huge bar even acknowledged their existence - no servers of greeters approached them.

A bottle of Carlsburg, one bottlle of water, and one coke came to 138 baht - for those who track such things. We left after finishing our drinks - to go find a place where we at least recognized some friends.

Bottom line - Impressive place, definitely worth a visit. Upscale atmosphere, appropriate for bringing "decent" friends. But - not a place where you're likely to find too many 'mates, if you are Nanaplaza material .

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

Stone Soup

Also visited this place last night and agree with all that Stone Soup has said about it. It is a big impressive place part bar part restaurant part pool hall with big sound system and a big scren at the back for all you sports fans. It is very Hollywood western style with dark mahogany wood everywhere and a great big feel to the place. But like all big venues it will need a hell of a lot of people to fill it up and give it an atmosphere and we all felt that it is just too far down the Soi to get the numbers needed. Impressive amount of Baht spent and the fountain isn't even finished yet!!!

It is a big step up in quality from the Soi 33 bars and is definitely not a go go or beer bar.

We went back this morning for the breakfast and it was slow in coming but it was their first morniing. English and American breakfast available but at 125 baht the Bus Stop breakfast is much better value. Beers are 70/75 baht and they also do cocktails but are still learning how to make them from a book!!!!

Give it a few days and go and have a look but remains to be seen how well this place will do. Treat it as a very different place to go with your girl without hostesses or FL's.....at least at the moment.

Uniformguy

Archived