Thai food in you home country (outside LOS)

Brink15

Guest lazyphil

I've been to a pretty nice Thai restaurant with my mate who lives in Greenwich, its very near to the Cutty Sark, I forget the name of it though (can't be too many in the vicinity??), portions were a bit miserable though, but authentic taste.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you follow Iron Chef, one of my guilty pleasures, but Morimoto-san (the Iron Chef Japanese at the end of the series) has moved from Nobu (Robert DeNiro's place) to his own restaurant entitled, funnily enough, Morimoto. It looks amazing. I'm dying to try it.

Didn't know about this. This is an American TV series with a real chef, Morimoto-san, right? Just checked the web. He has opened his own restaurant in Philadelphia. There's not much known about him in Japan.

Actually not. It was a Japanese series involving mostly Japanese chefs. Ran in the early 90's, although they have had a few specials since then. Morimoto was a big chef in Japan but moved to New York around 99' and now has his own place in Phillie.

Anyway the guy is considered one of the top Japanese chefs in the globe.

Tom kha gai, one of my absolute favorites. I can make an OK version and my wife makes one better. But I'd still love to know how a restaurant on Koh Phi Phi made theirs. It had nam prik pao in it. Amazing flavor.

I like fried rice, but really can't stand the Thai version. I don't know why.

Noodle soups. I love Pho, the Vietnamese noodle soup. No, I mean I really love pho. I could eat this stuff every day. When I lived in Thailand I used to tell my wife that guaytee-oh was OK, but pho kicked ass. She would always look at me like I just pissed on the Thai flag. Once she tried pho in a Vietnamese restaurant it became her favorite.

Hi Brink,

good idea for a thread.

I'll report about my pre LOS days.

In the Netherlands the majority of the Thai restaurants can be found in Amsterdam, and the majority in Amsterdam can be found close to the red light district. There's loads of them there, catering for the Thais working the windows.

Nowadays Thai restaurants can be found all over town in A*dam. The food in the ones that I ate in is from average to good and very authentic in general.

Every major city in the Netherlands has almost at least one Thai restaurant, incl. the one I lived in prior to moving to LOS.

This was an expensive affair, a top end Chinese restaurant, with a Thai cuisine. Great food however, very authentic and very expensive. Lateron, shortly before I moved another Thai restaurant opened, which had exactly that Chinese food influence you don't want to have in Thai food. According to a friend who just visited, it has improved tho.

Before I moved to LOS, I used to cook a lot of Thai food myself. Ingredients is no real problem in the Netherlands. As former colonialist masters of Indonesia, there are plenty of Asian shops around the country, either run by Indonesians or nowadays by a lot of Vietnamese as well. The supply of authentic ingredients in general is very good, although fruit was one of hter things that lacked, at least in the city I lived in. That city however had at least 3 shops to shop from plus a weekly market. Great place to meet Thai people in these shops as well. I met a few women there and became friendly with them and their respective families, result that one the women cooked always a few extra portions of food which she gave to me and I could put it in the freezer.

In A*dam there's a shop where they get a daily delivery from Thailand with fresh products, by airplane. Maybe an idea for some boardmembers living outside LOS???? If there's a lot of Thai restaurants and Thais in your city, you can serve them all with fresh goodies, the demand will be there.

Cheers,

Limbo

I've been fortunate, having lived in NYC and now residing in Tokyo, I was never amiss for good Thai food. In the Big Apple, I can easily name 3 restaurants that offer outstanding Thai dishes - 2 are dives (always the best, right?), the other in the theatre district. Certainly as good, and I think better, than what I have been served in LOS. In the mid 90's there was a heavy inflow of Thai restaurants to NYC (as well as nouveau Asian and Pan-Asian) so there was a spike in popularity and a decrease in authenticity/quality if you were to survey the entire population that existed post "invasion". However, the three aforementioned places came into being during the 1970's and 1980's and have not changed much despite the newfound competition.

Now Tokyo... I think the Thai food here is pretty good, not as good as NY. Definitely not up to LOS quality but, close, in some cases. I also think you are apt to find inferior places as easily you would a quality joint so there's a lot of trial-by-error. I know of the Erawan place jp1 mentioned having eaten in the Roi Bldg (Roppongi) and Shinjuku locations. They are better than average but not good value for the yen. The place I like, and I am surprised jp1 did not mention it unless he is keeping it our secret, is in Akasaka. Another joint that I would categorize as a dive but damn fine food at bargain basement prices. They also sometimes play cheesy Thai pop music over the stereo (China Dolls, et al) so it puts me in a real BKK mood when dining there.

So it's been a good run for me the past two decades... as far as Iron Chef, yeah I always used to watch that show. Been to a few of the restaurants of the featured chefs... thought that whole challenge with Bobby Flay was unique given Mr. Flay's alpha personality. Did not know who to root for, although I do like Chef Flay's dishes and Bolo is one of my favorite restaurants in The City...

Well that's my perspective on the matter, it's interesting to see what others have to share regarding Thai culinary...

I know of the Erawan place jp1 mentioned having eaten in the Roi Bldg (Roppongi) and Shinjuku locations. They are better than average but not good value for the yen. The place I like, and I am surprised jp1 did not mention it unless he is keeping it our secret, is in Akasaka.

I didn't forget this place, just the name escaped me. The food is really excellent and value for money. Well as I said, the 'Erawan' has fine food :) but is also TOP YEN. :(

the name escaped me
Does it even have a name? :dunno: I said it was a dive! I am waiting for them to import a couple of soi dogs to sit under those fine tin tables in the upstairs room! :: Oh yeah - next time we have our Tokyo get together, I'll take you guys to the Thai place behind Omotesando (top notch eats) - went there the other night with my JAS stewardess cutie - it was outstanding! ::

Archived