Thai food in you home country (outside LOS)

Brink15

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the close proximity are there many Indonesian restaurants in OZ?

There used to be a pretty good one in Andover, Massachusetts that was part of a really snobby prep school. Geo. Bush the first went there. The food was great. It was like a huge plate of rice with at least a dozen different dishes and condiments. At the time it was the spiciest food I'd had (this was 20 years ago). I thought I'd found the perfect food. Since then other spicy foods, including Thai, have grown in popularity. Give me chili or give me death. :grinyes:

I also tried an Indonesian restaurant in Penang which was lame.

I do live in Thailand now, of course,but I remember the Thai restaurants in Honolulu were surprisingly bad. You'd think it would be at least okay there.

The best Thai food I had in the U.S. came from a series (not a chain exactly, but each restaurant owned by a different member of the same Thai family) of Thai restaurants in a small city in Texas.

Says Brink15:

Given the close proximity are there many Indonesian restaurants in OZ?

There used to be a pretty good one in Andover, Massachusetts that was part of a really snobby prep school. Geo. Bush the first went there. The food was great. It was like a huge plate of rice with at least a dozen different dishes and condiments. At the time it was the spiciest food I'd had (this was 20 years ago). I thought I'd found the perfect food. Since then other spicy foods, including Thai, have grown in popularity. Give me chili or give me death.
:grinyes:

I also tried an Indonesian restaurant in Penang which was lame.

Hi Brink,

what you describe here is the Indonesian rice table. All the Dutchies here on the board should be familiar with it.

That's the way the Indonesian eat and one of their famous dishes, a plate of rice and than a variable amount of dishes and condiments (in restaurants, the more dishes etc the higher the price).

It's a nicely mixed affair of various foods. Really tasty.

Cheers,

Limbo

The things I'd do right now to be enjoying a mangosteen, here in the dead of winter in Chicago. But, no such luck. Thou I can buy most anything in the numerous Asian markets here (even one which is specifically Thai), the fruit is something that doesn't make it here from 6,000 miles away.

As for good grub. Can't get it. Thai think that American's like only sweet food. No matter how many times I say Pet Krab, it comes laced in sugar. I even bring my own fresh prik to the joints.

I'm not sure what the deal is with mangosteen or mungkut in Thai. It's by far my favorite as well. In Florida we can get ngor (rambuttan) or lumyai (longan) but no mangosteen.

I don't know if it's just not grown in the US or what the story is. I would think if they can grow rambuttan and longan in Florida and California, they should be able to grow mangosteen.

Have you tried the canned stuff? To me it tastes like generic tropical fruit.

Archived