Ladydrinks? Yea or Nay?

Sarisin

I have a good friend that I have been out with dozens of times. He is a great guy and I enjoy going out to the bars with him.

However, I have never seen him buy a ladydrink in all the bars we have visited.

Me? I am on the opposite end of the scale. I buy plenty of ladydrinks when I hit the bars. Other friends tell me I buy too many.

I suppose most of you guys fall somewhere in between my friend and I on the Ladydrink Purchasing Scale.

Here's how I see it:

If I invite the lady to sit down with me, I buy her a ladydrink. Plain and simple. If, however, she plops down on her own next to me, I chat a bit with her. If I am not interested in her, no ladydrink. If I find chatting with her fun, bingo - she gets a ladydrink. If the lady plops down and immediately asks for a ladydrink, there is no chatting and no ladydrink.

One other condition for me equals plenty of ladydrinks. This is when I run into a friend in a bar - it might be a dancer, waitress, mamasan, manager, etc. I wouldn't call it a ladydrink, but I also usually buy a drink for the bar owner and DJ if I know them.

Actually, it doesn't bother me that my friend is tight with buying drinks for others. Except on the occasions when I buy drinks for those listed above, especially the owners, and we, I said we, are rewarded with a round of drinks or some sanuk with the ladies. In those cases, I think he should contribute. But, of course, he doesn't and it is not a big deal with me.

What do you think? Are you a big spender when you go into a bar when it comes to buying drinks for others?

I guess one reason I have always been a softie when it comes to buying ladydrinks for friends in bars is that I have seen some of them show up with ZERO baht and the only money they end up with that night for food and transportation is their ladydrink commission.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarisin,

You did me a great favour yesterday - advising which gym to go for instructor led classes.

Therefore, I'll abstain from any comments on the lady drinks issue.

My strong opinion, backed with bgs' testimonies, should stay in the tool shed.

In another thread of yours, I posted it, 4-5 weeks ago. Don't believe the girls have changed their view.

Love to see what other people think.

Sometimes I prefer to give the gals a tip rather than a ladydrink. If you give 'em say 100 baht, it costs just about the same as a ladydrink (usually around 90 - 95 baht), but they get to keep the lot rather than a small percentage (40 baht or so?). So it costs me no more, but they get far more.

Having said that, I usually buy one ladydrink for the gal and if I'm enjoying her 'company', I will offer to give her a tip rather than buy her another drink, but let her choose. They nearly always they would prefer a tip.

In my most favourite bars I regularly buy drinks for all and sundry and as a result of that my pleasure gained in those bars in terms of personal service, after hours drinkies, diddling and being surrounded by beautiful smiling BGs is increased hugely. It puts the cost of the night up of course but quality nights are replacing quantities of nights out slowly but surely.

I went through a stage of tipping the girls at the end of the night thinking they would appreciate this more and as a result always spent my evenings alone and unhappy. Now i'm back to throwing cash around and sitting drinking happily with lovely ladies. ::

Girls turning in to lady drink sales ladies has ruined Angeles City, PI, and would not think it could creep in to Thailand.

I also thought the girls only got like 20-30baht per, not 40-50baht? A small difference perhaps, just wondering.

Like you, if a girl comes over on her own and starts hustleing lady drink, not only do I not buy one, I ask her kindly to get the fuck out of here.

regards,

Nok the Kook

ps: Having the waitress involved in it has also contributed in the PI. Bottom line, I guess I can figure out quicker than most if I'm interested in barfineing her and just tell her to get changed if am. We can drink in the room.

I'm with you Sarisin.

As soon as I call a girl over (before she even sits down),

she gets her LD. I usually end up buying plenty.

Surprised that no one mentioned this but: The girls only get

a commission on soft drinks. I love to buy them Tequilas and

such to get the party going. In most but not all cases the girls

prefer the hard stuff.

What's your take on this ?

p.s. Waiters don't get any commission as opposed to waitresses.

Whether it's a lady drink, a round for the guys, a tip for the waitress etc... , it's all a function of personality. Frugal people will find a way to justify holding on to as much of their money and getting the most sanuk for the least expense. Fortunately for you the frugality of the person you depict does not interfere with your friendship. It would drive me crazy and I generally consider this a road block to further friendship. I always factor in ample tipping/lady drinks during my night out. It makes it fun for me, for the girls and for my friends.

Archived