Knock off Watches

Does anyone know what the policy is for bringing knockoff watches (rolex, etc) back to the States? If I pick up a $35.00 ::Rolex or 2, will they be confiscated upon my return?

TIA

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That depends on the grade of the copy. Either way if it looks like a copy then expect customs to confiscate it. If you have a suitcase

full of them expect them to confiscate them. I wear a real one and have never had customs query me on it.

If it is on your wrist, they will not confiscate it. If it is in your bag, especially if you have more than one of them, say "bye bye".

Anyway, I've never understood what the attraction is. Why not buy a real watch that you can afford rather than an imitation of one you obviously can't (or are too cheap to buy)?

[color:"brown"]Why not buy a real watch that you can afford rather than an imitation of one you obviously can't (or are too cheap to buy)? [/color]

For the same reason I don't buy expensive sunglasses any more, $200 worth of sunnies lost twice a year get's expensive. With watches its banging them on hard things and having them nicked in Cambodia.

Cheers

::

Says PvtDick:

If it is on your wrist, they will not confiscate it. If it is in your bag, especially if you have more than one of them, say "bye bye".

Anyway, I've never understood what the attraction is. Why not buy a real watch that you can afford rather than an imitation of one you obviously can't (or are too cheap to buy)?

The kicker in buying a fake is having it admired by others as real. First impression are very important.

Of course the above line is meant not be taken seriously by the copy's owner. If you take a girl out for a date do you really want to give her the impression that your something other that who you are? I think not. But if your going into a bank to make a deposit and some bimbo teller gives you the bum's rush when you try to withdrawn money ( and yeah it's your money allright but try and tell that to a bank ) a flash of the Rolex makes for a bit of fun...a little like throwing your weigh around abit.

I was close to buying a fake from one of those sellers from South India making their rounds in Soi Cowboy. I talked them down to 1000b and after the water test I was ready to buy. But my GF stopped me and said that for 3000 Baht downtown you can buy one of much better quaility and which comes with a warranty.

Since I was leaving LOS the next day I ended up buying a "America Eagle " for 300 bath and so far ( 3 months ) is still working.

However my heart is still with that Rolex. I have a relative who paid $10,000 for a real one in Hong Kong about 20 years ago. I priced the new ones after my return and the cheapest model when for about $15,000.

Shit :(

Because I have a Pulsar, and a Timex and I don't have a Rolex, I like different watches for different purposes, Business, Dining, Scuba, Handyman stuff.

And in the bars to look rich and to look poor.

And when in the mood (did this a couple of times long ago) to wear one on each wrist. And when BG asks why, I say "when I want to look at the time over there (left side) I use this one and whe I want to look at the time over there (right side) I use that one...."

That was back when I introduced myself when asked "what you name?" as:

Juan Antonio Ferdinand Miranda Verachrusta De La Hoya Cardinales, copyright 2003 Coss.

Cheers

Dog,

the watches you buy in Bangkok on the road are mostly shite. If any I would buy the ones in the 1000/1500 Baht class because they have Japanese interiors . By far the best fakes are made in Taiwan , cost aound 200 USD and are virtually undistinguishable. Interior Swiss. These are really perfect copies.

Bill

Archived