Bank Error to our advantage - what to do ?

dsab

despite how this is all wrapped up, there is a very simple way to look at this. The money belongs to some one and has been placed in your account by error on some ones part. There is a very simple word for taking something that does not belong to you: Theft.

So, it all depends upon how you see yourself.

-j-

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, went yesterday to the bank manager to check the situation. Seems to be a bit complicated. The person who lodged the cheque, made most likely a writing mistake. They can`t find the original cheque at the moment, but they found the attached Form, and on that one it states our account. The far bigger problem for the bank now is, to find the cheque. Actual guess of Bank Manager is, that it is a foreign cheque (probably even a cash cheque, although no clue what that is suposed to be). In that case it will be almost imposible to find the payee. That would be good for us. :-)

So, the hunt is still going. Will keep you updtated.

P.S. We won`t use, move or spend any of the money before we are legally assured (written by police and bank), that we did everything, and that nobody can try any legal action against us at any time afterwards.

The banks have long audit trails and sooner or later, someone will miss the money and track it down, then yank it back to the appropriate account.

As an aside, when my bank in the U.S. first set up internet banking, I saw money mysteriously going into then back out of my account serveral times.

The only moral and safe route is to bring it to the bank's attention.

Says iuytrede:

GF tells me that sometimes someone deposits 20000 B or 30000 B into her account (Siam Commercial). Later this money will disappear again, about 10000 B at a time.

She has no idea what is going on here.

As Thaihome said on page 1, this is a classic example of money-laundering for which Thailand is a centre. Cash is cleaned through legitimate accounts.

You could chance it by simply withdrawing everything and opening up an account in another bank.

You'd probably be traced though and the owners of the 5 Mil are probably not the kind to let this kind of loss go.

[color:"red"] You could chance it by simply withdrawing everything and opening up an account in another bank.

You'd probably be traced though and the owners of the 5 Mil are probably not the kind to let this kind of loss go.

My friend you, your friend me.

[/color]

You are right, the bullets are quite cheap in Thailand. :devil:

What is not yours is NOT yours, honesty is the best. :grinyes:

Chers! :devil:

Sounds like you did what you needed to do so that you could cover your ass. If your lady was not sleeping well at night, you did what you had to do. If I am not mistaken, 5 mil baht is about 110K American...a nice sum of cash...even a life changing amount of money. I think from what I have seen of Thai jails, you did right. If you can get a written statement from the bank and file a report with the police I think you will have that additional peace of mind. Peace of mind is worth more than 110K to me =) Good luck with everything :D

Archived