Bank Error to our advantage - what to do ?

dsab

Hi Guys,

little problem. Me and my gf have three current accounts. She has one, I have one, and we have one together. The one together we opened for emergency cases, and is never used. We get the statements every three months. Beause no tranactions done, we never checked the statements. The last one we got 4 weeks ago. Yesterday we sorted all our papers, and opened as well the envelopes with this statements.

To our shock we saw, that on that account are roughly 5 million Baht to much. Somebody lodged a cheque over about 5 million baht into our account in the middle of December. It was not us, and none of her family. Nobody else knows of this account.

How is the legal situation in Thailan? Do we have to inform the bank, or should we relax, not touch the money, and leave it where it is, hoping nobody cares ?

I know how it would work in Germany or Ireland (but they would find it after three days anyway), but what about Thailand ?

THX,

Daniel

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing to do is get it taken care of immediately. Go to the bank and get them to straighten it out. It may be tempting to do otherwise, but I seriously wouldn't consider it.

The banking rules, while lacks in some areas are tough in others.

A bounced check is a crinimal offence here! And I know of where in a business case it sent someone to jail!

That said I'd be wanting to take the money out and disapear!

I am sure whoever it belongs to will work it out soon!

Any way of tracing who it belongs to? ie was it a cheque that has depositors details?

I can ask my friendly bank manager - but I am sure they will say - GIVE IT BACK!

I Australia this happened to me, I even tried to say that it wasn't mine, could they check for me, (Moment of maddness) the teller was insistant it was my money, from a regular deposit.

I knew I didn't have that sort of luck, so told her, close the account, give me the $ and I never heard about it again - $3000 Aussie)

HOWEVER this being Thailand I'd leave it where it is, if after a few years its still there - well done

Personally, I agree with Jimmy Blonde (above) - leave it alone. If you point it out to someone, there's a good chance that they or someone they tell will find a way to grab it and then I'd worry about my own liabiity in case someone questions it later - especially if you don't have good documentation.

I certainly wouldn't touch it - spend it, etc. With 5m in the account, nobody's going to close it so long as you deposit say 100 B every two months or so. In the meantime, I'd open another joint account for the emergency purposes that the first account was supposed to cover.

If a couple of years (at least 3) passes by and nobody touches the account, quietly transfer/withdraw like 250,000 per month and then close out the account; ideally putting the dough offshore.

Good luck,

Scuba

dsab,

it?s very difficult to give you a sound advice but supposed you?re living and working in Thailand and most likely want to continue to work and live over there, I would strongly recommend you to sort this out with your bank. If your account has been a ?dormant? account for some time, it could well be that it is used to temporarily deposit illegal money. If you do not report this you could be -sooner or later - in troubled waters. Perhaps your account was chosen for this deposit with the knowledge of some employee at the bank who checked the accounts and found out that yours hasn?t been used for a long time. This being Thailand I would react cautiously and within the legal framework.

Archived