LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

Never ceases to amaze me how some guys will sit in a bar and not leave a friggin tip to the service girl. I have seen guys run up 3000bt in drinks and leave a friggin 20bt tip. Maybe some of you need to be reminded that service girls make anywhere from 2000bt-4000bt a month plus tips. They also get only 2 days off in a month have to be at the bar when it opens and clean up after it closes.

Trust me when I say that they rarely make their stated salary because of the heinous practice of cutting a girls pay for every little mishap by bar owners/managers. A glass breaks they get docked; a customer skips on the bill they get docked; they show up late they get docked; they miss a day they get docked(more on weekends); they scew up a drink order or the customer screws it up they get docked; they even have to buy their own Bar-t-shirts/uniforms at inflated prices from the bar. A girl may be lucky if she collects 70% of her stated pay from the bar.

I know that some people come from places where tipping is not part of the culture and others are just cheap pricks. Regardless, in LOS many of these girls depend on tips to make their living so please keep that in mind next time and tell your friends.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one! I can't really remember the last time I was in any place and didn't think they had too many servers standing around doing not much and badly. Probably better to tip less and make it an even less attractive job and get some of the clutter out of the way. Might even knock down beer prices. ::

I went to a bar in Soi 4 last Thursday night (can't remember the name but it was about opposite the Rajah hotel and had several pool tables in the back) with a girl I had met in Bus Stop a couple of times. We met a couple of her friends there and had a whale of a time playing pool and generally laughing at each other inability to get the damn balls in the pockets.

As I had invited her 2 friends to join us I naturally picked up the tab it came to 1500 odd baht including some food too. When I left the tip my TG took most of it back off the tray and put it in my wallet again! I think I had left 100 baht but she reduced this to a 20 baht note and the coinage!

Whos it right and who is wrong, I was happy to leave the higher tip but she wasn't and I was not about to fall out with her on my last night in LOS! ;)

Thaipan

Hello. I argee in part, tip well if the service warrents, however, your post tends to focus on the tip aspect and ignores the solution to the cause of her wage being garnished/cut etc..

I often get threats and alot more when bring up these "things" on the Philippine boards and even on some Thai boards in regards to the "permanant barfine" scam played out on Farangs by other Farangs. These are much more wicked and evil than even what you describe.

The solution? some how wakeing up face down on pavement tends to deter it. I'm surprised the "wrong" girl has not been picked on as you describe and resulted in violence against the manager or owner.

regards,

Nok

Point(s) you make are well-taken. It would be difficult to run up a 3000 baht drink tab with poor service...and I would think that part of that might have included a drink for the dek serve. Tipping is a relatively new "custom" in Thailand. It is a Western custom and not one which is "Thai". In fact, it is not unusal for Thais not to tip and certainly not in the 10-20% range which is customary in many Western countries. IMO, tipping should only be given as a reward for service "above and beyond" bringing a drink to my table....that which is clearly attentive (noticing when it may be time for a customer needing another drink, emptying ashtrays, wiping off a table as needed, etc.). I usually leave a tip of 5 baht to 10 baht most of the time because I rarely order more than one drink in one place. Have left 100 baht tips on occasion when I've had higher tabs and had good service. For good service, I may leave a 10 baht tip in the "book" or on the tray and hand the dek serve a 20-50 baht tip directly (assuming she was the one who excelled).

Tipping, in my judgement, is a personal matter and will be as varied as the levels of service one can receive. For example, in the U.S., I've had to get up and go to the waitress station to refill my own glass with water (due to poor service). Of course, such action is not unnoiticed and results in a waitress rushng over to "assist" (like I am incapable of putting water in a glass). In any case, too late to expect much of a tip. In fact, in a case like that I would leave the equivalent of 10 baht on a 30 dollar tab...just to let them know that I didn't "forget" to leave a tip...just to let them know their service was crappy.

We've all observed dek serves too busy playing "grab ass" with eachother to attend to our "needs"...but I guess that isn't what you are referring to.

Point(s) you make are well-taken. It would be difficult to run up a 3000 baht drink tab with poor service...and I would think that part of that might have included a drink for the dek serve. Tipping is a relatively new "custom" in Thailand. It iw a Western custom and not one which is "Thai". In fact, it is not unusal for Thais not to tip and certainly not in the 10-20% range which is customary in many Western countries. IMO, tipping should only be given as a reward for service "above and beyond" bringing a drink to my table....that which is clearly attentive (noticing when it may be time for a customer needing another drink, emptying ashtrays, wiping off a table as needed, etc.). I usually leave a tip of 5 baht to 10 baht most of the time because I rarely order more than one drink in one place. Have left 100 baht tips on occasion when I've had higher tabs and had good service. For good service, I may leave a 10 baht tip in the "book" or on the tray and hand the dek serve a 20-50 baht tip directly (assuming she was the one who excelled).

Tipping, in my judgement, is a personal matter and will be as varied as the levels of service one can receive. For example, in the U.S., I've had to get up and go to the waitress station to refill my own glass with water (due to poor service). Of course, such action is not unnoiticed and results in a waitress rushng over to "assist" (like I am incapable of putting water in a glass). In any case, too late to expect much of a tip. In fact, in a case like that I would leave the equivalent of 10 baht on a 30 dollar tab...just to let them know that I didn't "forget" to leave a tip...just to let them know their service was crappy.

We've all observed dek serves too busy playing "grab ass" with eachother to attend to our "needs"...but I guess that isn't what you are referring to.

Isn't the tipping dilemma also a question of how much to tip housekeeping at the hotel, room service and in general anyone who has a low paying service job?

I can't see why the people who serve at bars are special here. I don't leave 100 baht if there isn't a special reason.

Although I often leave more than 20 baht.

Cheers!

Archived