LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is none of your business whether other people tip or not.

I also believe if I just paid 120 baht for a beer that was warm and took an age in coming, perhaps I shouldn't tip.

I have also been told in the USA that I am supposed to tip the lady who cannot speak English and cleans my hotel room. Seems odd that I am supposed to pay the cleaner's salary on top of the $140 for the hotel room!

I looked up gratuity, and that sent me to gratuitous -and it said

"Given or received without cost or obligation; free"

"Unnecessary or unwarranted; unjustified."

So how about letting me decide how to spend my money.

As a guy who lives in Vegas, I make my living off of tips. I know it is different in all parts of the world. I do find myself having to control my tipping in LOS. I think tipping just because is a mistake, but I certainly have no problem tipping well for good service.

I also will tip my ST well if she is proficiant. As far as the wages being low for the servers in the go go's. I know that pay is low in LOS, but there may be another reason for keeping the pay low. Having worked in the adult entertainment field for many year, I may have a bit different insight. At every club I have worked at the waitress where looked upon as potential dancers. I would say that on average 1/3 of the waiteress end up becoming dancers. I worked at one club where if they didn't become dancers within a couple of months they would get fired. This was the policy in Seattle where it was a bit harder to find new dancers, in Vegas it isnt as hard to get new girls. Here is the way it works. The waiteress have to work long and hard hours. They have their schedules changed lots, so they can never get the best shifts and make enough money. Even the most prudish ones become desensitized in no time. What was at first shocking, becomes normal behavior. Management and various staff then start to tell them they are cuter than many of the dancers. They ask them why the are wasiting their time, when they could make tons more as a dancer. And before you know it you have a new dancer. What has this got to do with tips? I dont know maybe its that the more you tip the servers the longer it will take for them to be available ST.

i normally use the same small group of bars and get to know the waitresses and they are friends.

they know what i drink,will get a new bottle when i need one,know what my friends drink,even go out and get food for me,look after my belongings if i have to leave the bar for any reason but shortly to return and i have never been the victim of any scam.

these girls will always get a good tip from me.

and i always tip the young girls who make up my room,after all it normally looks like a bomb has hit it after a night of wild sexual fun.

and i tip the girls who make a wonderful job of my laundry.

Have to agree here. I don't think it's for other's to judge whether a tip is warranted or not. What I don't like is the general assumption that a tip should be paid.. it all depends on the service and situation as stated.

The reason why employees do this is the staff is incompetent and if they did not fine thier staff, the staff would sit there and watch friggen TV all the time and do nothing. It is a effective management practice. 20 B is a good hourly wage for an uneducated Thai. It is equivilant to a plate of food, it is 4 buses going back and forth to work. If the person spent 3000 in a hour and left a 20B tip the staff member would be doubling there salary.. I dont think a waitress should be making a professional wage of 10K + per month, just because they work in a restaurant with guys who visit the restaurant who feel as if they have to give a tip as per western values, in an asian culture. Nobody depends on tips for a living. A girl with a modest education is lucky if she makes the 4000B wage a month. A girl with that education whether she works at a restaurant, a maid, a factory etc should be earning about that level of income. No higher!

I dont think I have ever left more than a 20B tip ever in 4 years of thailand. Because i know the value of the 20B .Last night my wife and I were at the londoner pub for supper and I left a 20B tip.. My wife says to be that she wants to work here. I asked why.. She replyied because guys leave 20 B tips. This is from an educated working professional thai.

We are not pussys if we dont want to do as americans do.

Archived