LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno about all this - so many different answers... rggg..

Here's what I do -

If I get a beer or maybe two I usually tip 20baht. Sometimes they play the game where they have 3 10 baht coins at the bottom of the plate - I never leave the 30 baht (in coins) simply cause I (personaly) find it rude - and only one notch from them trying to rip me off.

If I like the waitress maybe I'll buy her a drink, or barfine her. I just get the feeling that if I leave a tip she may not get it anyway - or maybe it will get divided up amongst all the staff... (am I right on this?) If I REALLY like the girl or have had a shitload to drink I'll take off (dunno 100 baht) and slap it in her hands and leave 20 baht on the plate.. I read somewhere a long time ago that if you stick in their hands then they can keep it... Sometimes I get funny looks on this - am I wrong (?)

Hotel staff - I'm usually in a 1000 baht or less hotel and I don't know what to do - Sometimes I give them a 50 baht note, or maybe 100 if I'm feeling generous - but I don't chase them down everyday.. As I understand it they make like 200 baht a day - so my 50 baht should be fine.

I always tip girls I sleep with - good or bad. I mean ewwwww.. they just had to sleep with ME>>> if nothing else maybe it'll compensate for the nightmares.

:dunno:

Says whosyourdaddy:

The reason why employees do this is the staff is incompetent and if they did not fine thier staff, the staff would sit there and watch friggen TV all the time and do nothing. It is a effective management practice. 20 B is a good hourly wage for an uneducated Thai. It is equivilant to a plate of food, it is 4 buses going back and forth to work. If the person spent 3000 in a hour and left a 20B tip the staff member would be doubling there salary.. I dont think a waitress should be making a professional wage of 10K + per month, just because they work in a restaurant with guys who visit the restaurant who feel as if they have to give a tip as per western values, in an asian culture. Nobody depends on tips for a living. A girl with a modest education is lucky if she makes the 4000B wage a month. A girl with that education whether she works at a restaurant, a maid, a factory etc should be earning about that level of income. No higher!

I dont think I have ever left more than a 20B tip ever in 4 years of thailand. Because i know the value of the 20B .Last night my wife and I were at the londoner pub for supper and I left a 20B tip.. My wife says to be that she wants to work here. I asked why.. She replyied because guys leave 20 B tips. This is from an educated working professional thai.

We are not pussys if we dont want to do as americans do.

I do not know who you think you are speaking up for, but it is not certainly for Canadians, who are also known to reward for good service.

And where did you get the idea that 10k bhat a month is a professional wage :dunno: :dunno:

you have to get out more and see what it costs to live in Bkk, it would be an eye opener.

lovethai

Hi,

3,000 baht = US$70.00 = 30 beers at 100bt./beer.

20 baht = US$.47 cents.

Anybody tipping 47 cents on a $70.00 check is, well........fill in the blank here ______.

I can see expats making very little in LOS, tipping on the low side. But if you can afford to spend 3,000 baht in a bar, and I don't care where you live, you can certainly afford to do a little better than 3/4 of 1% tip. That's just plain embarrassing. :o ::

Girl I know just left factory office job, and left there making 15,000/month. Can't believe she is a remarkably unusual story, salary wise.

HT

a recent place l was working the floor staff got to keep their own tips, bar staff shared. On one accasion we had 30 doctors from BK arrive, one floor staff mentioned she did not want to do this area, l said take the good with the bad. As it turned out between 30 of them she was left a 22 bt tip :dunno:

So she could never ever give me that farlung keneow crap again. As l have seen it most farlung leave tips, some of the floor staff earned up 50,000 bt per month from tips :eek: l know l seen and handed to them, first hand

cheers

shamus

Says Thaipan:

As I had invited her 2 friends to join us I naturally picked up the tab it came to 1500 odd baht including some food too. When I left the tip my TG took most of it back off the tray and put it in my wallet again! I think I had left 100 baht but she reduced this to a 20 baht note and the coinage!

I recently got involved in a discussion with some Thai friends of mine, where they accused me of tipping too much. One of them volunteered the interesting idea that, to him at least, a tip in Thailand shouldn't really be proportional to the bill, but rather a fixed amount in the 20-40 Baht range. This would square with your experience.

Any more (Thai?) perspectives on this?

"...Is it just me or are others disgusted with the attitude in this post as well?

Sanuk!..."

Well, yes sort of which part did it for you? For me it was the part that they shouldn't make any more! sort of like "all they deserve for being uneducated." I see a bit of the point, maybe should have been stated differently.

I'll throw some fuel on the fire here...In general, I think we Americans tip way to much for everything. in a sense though, it is not our fault, tips here are extorted from us. Here a tip of 15% was customary for excellent service, now 20% is expected, "never mind the crappy service, just give me the friggin tip!!!" Type of attitude prevails everywhere. Today I walked into a sandwich shop, ordered the sandwich, paid and walked out, yet, there was a tip jar by the register!!! Rediculis! Tip for a take out order!? And people say, "...I never knew you were supposed to tip for take out...?" HERE'S A NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T!!!! It is a custom that has gotten out of hand here, and is spoiling the places we travel to!

In LOS, I tip about 20 bht on the bill and that is it, maybe any coins that show up as well, I am told this is customary.

An interesting point about tipping, I had a friend who put herself through school as a bartender. She made more in tips than she does now as a Nurse, a university graduate! making less than a bartender! If we are not careful, our overtipping will really screw things up! :)

Hi,

"Well, yes sort of which part did it for you? For me it was the part that they shouldn't make any more! sort of like "all they deserve for being uneducated." "

Yep.

I have no problem with tipping small amounts (not a big tipper myself either, and I *hate* it when people make the decision for me), but to suggest that waitresses don't deserve a big tip since they are uneducated (my interpretation), I find rather offensive.

Sanuk!

I don't think i am a big tipper and do not go overboard but have been out with TG and she has freaked out when i have tipped a taxi driver 30 baht. She literally grabbed the money off the driver and left him with 10 baht.I have a soft spot for taxi drivers and did this as a job when i was a student so feel some empathy with the driver.

My motto is if you feel like tipping up to you whatever you like.

Kerry Packer once Australia's richest man tipped a waiter over 100,000 US dollars a few years back.This may seem excessive but there you go.

Archived