LEAVE A TIP AND DON'T BE A CHEAP P****!!!

JJsushi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read somewhere a long time ago that if you stick in their hands then they can keep it... Sometimes I get funny looks on this - am I wrong (?)

[color:"blue"]

Your practice is similar to mine.

I will leave 20 to 40 bahts on the tip tray depending on whether I'm a frequent customer, like the place and so on ...

In many places, the girls will keep tip that is handed directly to her. If you don't know, just ask the girl.

I have to say, at most place I try to have one or two service girls on "my side" .. by tipping well, buying drinks, sharing smokes and/or being nice. It's worth it on subsequent visits as they tend to take good care of me, give me info on girls I'm interested, will be interested in or play buffer to "sharks".

[/color]

Says whosyourdaddy:

Who says the staff get to keep the tip.. Many places, the majority will go to the management! even if you put it directly in her hand.

I've heard this before. Is it true?Sometimes? Always? Never? If so, then no need to tip at all? They must get (at least some of) the tip, otherwise they would not seem so grateful for it... :dunno:

"In LOS, I tip about 20 bht on the bill and that is it, maybe any coins that show up as well, I am told this is customary"

Customary for who? The Thais? Don't think so, they just blow off as much of the change as they think their social status requires them to.

Customary for farang? Who started this fantasy? And why?

In the west you see waiters in bars and restaurants carrying 6 8 even 10 tables even in the busiest times of day. Busting ass without a break for a couple hours at a stretch and still managing to get your order right, do it quick and even muster a smile and make you glad you're there. That's why you tip.

Contrast that with the indifferent, slow, sloppy, grudging 'service' you get in most of Thailand. What is really so hard about the job when you've got two servers per customer. Or at worst three tables per server at peak times? Who does this 'earn' a tip?

Dek-serve is junk job to be sure but in the customer relationship its parasitic. Most places have no clue about how bad or inefficient the service is. Can half the girls and actually train the rest would be my suggestion. Those who actually want to work would welcome the raise the smaller staff size could pay them.

While I'm loaded and raving, what the hell is it with servers hovering over you waiting for a tip? Are they afraid you're going to steal their little plastic tray? Yeah, we flew all the way here for petty theft... We're rebels, see. Or is it some subtle form of intimidation? Or is just an act pretending to be the kind of service I wanted before when I waited 5 minutes for my first beer, ten minutes to get their attention when I wanted another, 10 more when I wanted to check-bin?

I was in one of the Hollywood bars on 3rd floor of Nana and had an excellent waitress, I was told to give any tip for her directly to her otherwise she would have to share it with others.

Normally in Thailand for a small bill I leave small change plus twenty or so baht, if a bigger bill I would leave more but do not tip to what would be considered "Western" levels.

I live in Hong Kong and here standard tipping by Chinese is considered the loose change you receive back, coming from Europe sometimes I tip more but tend to relate it to the service I receive.

In the same way I do not like to be obligated to tip 10-20% in USA or somewhere because it is customary and not neccesarily related to the service I have received, I do not like to just leave small change in Asia because that is normal here, if I have a good experience then I will leave more.

What I hate though is when they bring back your change made up out of 10B coins and 20B notes. I know this is to encourage a tip, especially when your tab has totalled something like 590 baht for example, but you end up with a pocket full of coins which drives me crazy. Small issue, I know. There's bigger things to worry about for sure! ::

OH,

>>In general, I think we Americans tip way to much for everything. in a sense though, it is not our fault, tips here are extorted from us. Here a tip of 15% was customary for excellent service, now 20% is expected, "never mind the crappy service, just give me the friggin tip!!!" Type of attitude prevails everywhere. Today I walked into a sandwich shop, ordered the sandwich, paid and walked out, yet, there was a tip jar by the register!!! Rediculis! Tip for a take out order!? And people say, "...I never knew you were supposed to tip for take out...?" HERE'S A NEWS FLASH, YOU AREN'T!!!! It is a custom that has gotten out of hand here, and is spoiling the places we travel to!<<

I have to agree with you on this, one time in Florida I had inadvertantly forgotten to leave a tip and it was very vocally pointed out to me! I think that Americans and possibly Japanese can unwittingly cause problems with tipping as they tend to tip abroad as they would at home. But an expected 20% tip now? Phew, way too much!

As for tipping far take out? That is becoming a fad in the UK too and I just won't do it!

Thaipan :banghead:

You have an attitude problem on this for sure.

In the west some uneducatde people make millions Sports stars, models etc. and this in a place where education is freely available.

Back to the point if a customer beleives someone deserves a tip then so be it. There are a number of reasons why soemone would want to tip.

Good service, they want to get in the girls knickers etc.

IMO I dont think a girl going to the bar and plonking a bottle of heineken on my table doesnt.

I was in Patpong recently where they had a wooden box for tips. As i was collecting my change I lifted up the notes. Then the girl automaticaly threw 4 10 baht coins into the box regardless of whether I would of left them or not. I never got the choise.

Because this happened so quick another girl saw the empty tray and tried to have a go because she thought I never left anything.

This in a bar where I had 2 beers and spoke to 0 girls.

On the same night in Patpong I bought s beers for me 2 coronas for another girl 1500bht each and to colas for another girl.

Total 640 bht

They tried to rip me off big style with about 7/8 LD drink bills.

I pointde out what I should pay and gave 650.

I was chased out the bar when I insisted on having the 10 bht change. Which they did not initial offer.

Tip if the service is honest and good, however it rarely is.

Archived